Opening Garage Door?

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
could use an arudino/raspberrypi/etc independent of a camera.

for those with serial comms, you could open the box and wire directly to the button inside of the controller, or use one of the remotes in a similar fashion.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would tend to agree, a camera is a poor choice for this.. you want it to trigger like a momentary switch, on an ip camera your going to have to quickly press it on and off to get it to trigger..

any one with 2 connection points for an alarm output would have an internal relay that just bridges the two.. usually labeled like: com (common) and alarm-out

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
could use an arudino/raspberrypi/etc independent of a camera.

for those with serial comms, you could open the box and wire directly to the button inside of the controller, or use one of the remotes in a similar fashion.
I don't have any experience with those...not even sure where to begin. They seem like nice concepts...especially the raspberry pi.

I would tend to agree, a camera is a poor choice for this.. you want it to trigger like a momentary switch, on an ip camera your going to have to quickly press it on and off to get it to trigger..

any one with 2 connection points for an alarm output would have an internal relay that just bridges the two.. usually labeled like: com (common) and alarm-out
Yeah I understand what your saying there....only thing I was thinking is there are some neat functions within some apps called pulse relay's that allow you to quickly toggle the control on / off. I also thought it would be cool as sh&t to have one place where your actually watching the live feed and controlling the door at the same time:)

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you decide you don't want to roll your own, or are thinking about getting into home automation, you might look at this option:
http://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Linear-GD00Z-4-Z-Wave-Controller/dp/B00M75TEIU
It actually took a price dip today, and according to camelcamelcamel is at its all-time low prime price on Amazon.

I'm using one of these in conjunction with a Smartthings hub, and it works well for me. I also have a TOP-201 camera in the garage to catch motion events and provide a visual confirmation of the door's status.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you decide you don't want to roll your own, or are thinking about getting into home automation, you might look at this option:
http://www.amazon.com/GoControl-Linear-GD00Z-4-Z-Wave-Controller/dp/B00M75TEIU
It actually took a price dip today, and according to camelcamelcamel is at its all-time low prime price on Amazon.

I'm using one of these in conjunction with a Smartthings hub, and it works well for me. I also have a TOP-201 camera in the garage to catch motion events and provide a visual confirmation of the door's status.
Equivalent item may be on clearance at your local lowes.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because the camera there is no voltage alarm output, NC or NO; Garage door has two contacts on the main board of the controller, can open button next to each other, you just need to put the camera NO and COM alarm output received two contact;
When the camera motion detecting alarm, NO and COM will get through, the door is opened, rather then open a button, but you need to do to set, make the motion detecting alarm output to the NO and COM.

You can also use the IVMS - 4500 control, so that more convenient.