POE Cameras vs NON POE

xyz%

n3wb
Reaction score
Just wanted peoples views on this one. I have over 30 cameras installed and they all have POE built in. I was wondering if I would have been better buying NON POE cameras and using the POE to 12v Adaptors next to each camera. All my cameras run from POE switches. The reason I ask this is because if the POE fails in the camera the whole camera is useless whereas NON POE cameras would just mean swapping the POE adaptor at the camera end which are only a few pounds .

Opinions ?

xyz%

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so you think the POE adaotor inside the camera is passive and would allow a 12V feed to power the camera ? That’s good news then .

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about passive - but the 12v feed bypasses the PoE circuitry.
There have been some posts to that effect, and I had a camera where the PoE circuit failed but 12v was still OK.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For me the big advantage of a POE switch is that it is on a UPS. So the cameras will run during a power outage for a short while. Also the UPS provides some protection for spikes.

Wall warts are cheap pieces of crap. I do not want to crawl aground in the attic replacing them.

8urt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with @SouthernYankee for me and my decision to go with a full POE setup was for the ability to have the switch and NVR or computer with the recording software hooked up to a UPS allowing for extra recording should some idiot think they can cover their face and go switch off the power. Sure I do not have tons of gold bullion in my safe but i like the idea of the backup incase of a power failure.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wall warts are cheap pieces of crap. I do not want to crawl aground in the attic replacing them.
+1^^^.
Agreed...I'd be more prone to secure a box of matches to a canister of camping lantern propane gas with a rubber band and place in my attic in an Alabama 98 degree OUTDOOR July heat than I would an operating Chinese AC to DC power supply / wall wart. :headbang:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so you think the POE adaotor inside the camera is passive and would allow a 12V feed to power the camera ? That’s good news then .
What exact camera?
The POE will likely last fine as long as you properly waterproofed the RJ45 connection at the camera.