POE connectivity question.

3vader

n3wb
Reaction score
Excuse me if this may be a dumb question. So I have installed a 2nd NIC in my BI machine, configured with static IP followed guide provided. My question what port do I connected 2nd NIC going to my POE switch? Thanks in advance. I have attached pics of POE.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ideally, use 1 of the "uplink" ports on the right but technically if you're pressed for a port since many POE switches do not have even a single uplink port you can plug the PC into any of the POE ports. That said, an uplink port is also preferred if it's rated for "gigabit" operation.

Because the PC is not a PSE device it won't "talk" to the POE switch and request voltage, only the data will connect. This is assuming the POE switch is 802.3af/at compliant.

3vader

n3wb
Reaction score
Ideally, use 1 of the "uplink" ports on the right but technically if you're pressed for a port since many POE switches do not have even a single uplink port you can plug the PC into any of the POE ports. That said, an uplink port is also preferred if it's rated for "gigabit" operation.

Because the PC is not a PSE device it won't "talk" to the POE switch and request voltage, only the data will connect. This is assuming the POE switch is 802.3af/at compliant.
Tony.. It work. Dual nic setup complete! Thanks.