PoE injector vs switch?

foodtech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have multiple on-site camera systems with NVRs set up by different contractors. Moving to a single BI machine. Have 10 cameras on one of the NVRs. I have plenty open ports on the building's managed network switch, but the cameras will need power. The PoE switch spreadsheet doesn't list any 16-port PoE injectors, but I have seen references in the forum to this PoE Texas 16-port injector. Other than one BV-Tech 16 PoE port switch, switches with 16 PoE ports easily run twice the cost of the injector. Any suggestions? Comments on reliability of either the injector or switch? Is there another alternative, preferably without doubling the cost? And thanks again for all the great help given so far.

(Cameras are mostly hikvision domes and turrets (eg 2CD2532F), no PTZ. Will be adding four 2231s I got from Andy).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Switch. Do to wiring distances I use multiple poe 8 port switches, they, Feed into a standard gigabit switch which is connected to the bi pc. This also keeps part of the system up and running if a POE switch failed.

All equipment is on multiple ups systems.

foodtech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do to wiring distances I use multiple poe 8 port switches ....
Thanks Southern Yankee. I'm doing the same thing with outbuildings and other floors. Those "out switches" connect to our primary (managed) switch to which the BI PC will connect. The cabling for the ten cameras in question was all run to the main network cabinet holding both their NVR and the primary switch. Will pull the NVR and fill the space by either the injector or switch. A switch would be neater as it would only involve the 10 cables plus one uplink (vice 20 cables for the injector). Mainly wasn't sure if the BV-Tech would be reliable.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There have been problem reported here with BV-tech. I have 2 BV-switches and have not had any problems.

As I build out the system I am changing to netgear. Some netgear switches allow you to change the power supply to provided more power to the ports.

also see

foodtech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As I build out the system I am changing to netgear.
Looking at the Netgear switches, I like the setup of their 24-port (16 PoE 190w) switch as I could use the extra ports for the uplinks from the BI PC and the outlying camera switches. It's currently cheaper than their 16-port (16 PoE) 183w switch where I'd have to sacrifice PoE ports to use as uplinks and it would keep the camera traffic off our data switch. Now I'm even looking at their 24-port (24 PoE 190W) smart switch. It's so easy to just keep moving up the line. ;)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.