Poe power and Dahua nvr

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Digging around maybe not wording it right can't find answer.
I have an empty port on my NVR I am too close to my total wattage to run another camera. can I plug a Poe power switch into that port and run another camera?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Digging around maybe not wording it right can't find answer.
I have an empty port on my NVR I am too close to my total wattage to run another camera. can I plug a Poe power switch into that port and run another camera?
Yes, should work OK. As you said, run 1 cam, not 2 or 3 just because there's room on the new switch, as the NVR can support only 1 more cam (the empty port).

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So switch plugged in wall
cat 6 from switch to router
cat 6 switch to camera

or

other options using NVR port?

Reaction score
Yes, should work OK. As you said, run 1 cam, not 2 or 3 just because there's room on the new switch, as the NVR can support only 1 more cam (the empty port).
Not necessarily.
Many NVR's support more cams than they have physical ports, and require an additional switch to support their full limit.
Total bw and other considerations still apply.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many NVR's support more cams than they have physical ports, and require an additional switch to support their full limit.
Possibly many do but my experience has been that many do not... :idk:
Since I was advising the OP that had only ONE port open, it was safe advice without getting him involved in calculating bandwidth and other factors....IMO.

Last edited:

Baldcamman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can I use this same method on another NVR port if I wanted to add a higher wattage camera on that port?