PoE splitter wanted that provides both 12v *AND* PoE on the camera end

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Most PoE splitters strip the power out of the Ethernet and provide 12v and just plain data on the far (camera) end. I'm not having much luck finding one that taps into the PoE to provide both PoE and a separate 12v supply on the far end. I'm looking to run a PoE camera (no 12v option) and a 12v IR illuminator from a single PoE RJ45 cable from the switch. It's easy if the cam does 12v- just split the 12v again with a Y after it comes out of the PoE splitter and run one to the cam and one to the IR but not if the cam doesn't have a 12v input.

Seems like a common enough thing to want to do, right? Where's the hardware? Google isn't helping much today.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Powering a Hik 2032 bullet with 48V PoE, I get 12V OUT on the cam's 12V power plug.
IE, the cam itself is acting as a 12V pass-through. Dunno what sort of load it could handle, tho.

edit: oops, you mentioned your cam doesn't have the 12V in/(out), so that doesn't help. my bad....

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you could use a pair of ethernet splitter/combiners to power both devices separately on the single wire:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121878900894

I've used these to run two PoE cams, so one should be able to run a cam and another 12v device (with it''s own PS at the switch end)

Not quite what you're looking for, but doesn't require running another wire to the cam/IR location.
Also allows delivering more power than a single PoE port might provide.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
These things are interesting. You've used them to run two PoE cams before? I'm not sure how they work but just looking at them I'd figure that they'd take the two input cables (2 data pairs each), combine them and use all four pairs on the single strand for data, then split them into two cables with 2 pairs each on the other end. That'd work with PoE carried over the data pairs but not PoE carried over the unused pairs of a single cable because they aren't passed through. Sooo, if my guesswork is right, your PoE was Alternative A (carried on the data pairs) rather than carried on the unused pairs (Alternative B) like in this article- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet Either that or I'm wrong on how it does the switching inside those two little boxes and they're actually little ethernet switches with no power supply rather than simple wiring crossover boxes.

I thought in the past that all 10/100 PoE was Alt B (unused pairs) and GigE PoE was Alt A because it used all four pairs for data but it almost looks from doing some more reading that 10/100 PoE can be either A or B depending on what the power supplying equipment (PoE switch) senses when it starts to supply power. So what were you using for PoE when you used these things? A regular PoE switch or an injector of some kind?

For my use, I'd either need to use two PoE ports from my switch and a splitter or possibly one PoE and just a passive 12v injector and 12v power supply to supply the IR illuminator like this one- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Over-Ethernet-Kit-PoE-Adapter-Injector-Splitter-5V-12V-24V-48V-1A-2A-1-5A-/171311114663?hash=item27e2f029a7:g:VxoAAOxy9X5TWoQY

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
these work because 10/100mb ethernet only uses 2 pairs for data. PoE Mode A uses the same two pairs for power, so you can run two
PoE devices, as long as the both are using Mode A. (Both mode B works also, but has the cam using the other cam's data wiring for power)

Yes, would be easier to use 2 PoE switch ports and a PoE splitter (active) at the cam for the secondary (IR) device, but an
active 802.3af switch won't power the secondary device without a live ethernet link to a compliant 802.3af device...

...So, an external PS and passive PoE injector at the switch and passive splitter at the cam will be needed for the IR.
As the passive injector will typically mimic mode B (using the non-data pairs), you'll need swizzle the pairs around in the
patch cable between the injector and the ethernet splitter...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You're probably right on the switch not wanting to power just 12v equipment and gotcha on the switch and passive injector. Swizzle as necessary after seeing which wires are powered from the injector, which are almost definitely not going to be the data ones that those boxes cross over. Awesome. I love learning something new.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
duh, not that complicated... :)

while what i described in post #5 would work, I realize now it's significantly simpler to just use two of your 802.3af mode A switch ports with the ethernet combiner/splitters i linked to and an ACTIVE poe splitter (for powering 'dumb' 12v devices) at the cam end.

I have done exactly this setup before, powering a PoE cam and a non-poe cam over a single ethernet from two poe ports on the switch.
you'd just be using an IR illuminator instead of a dumb 12V cam, but same difference wiring-wise...

this would work:
http://www.amazon.com/iCreatin-ethernet-Splitter-Adapter-Compliant/dp/B00SM196AE

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope, just need to know for sure how everything works and apply that to new gizmos. Beats figuring out why something DOESN'T work after doing it wrong the first time. And it assumes that the switch recognizes an active splitter as a device to power on its own rather than needing something plugged into the RJ45 anyway for the power to be applied and split out. Never tried it so I don't know if that's a condition or not. The more I think about it though, the switch's request asking if power was needed on the far end would probably HAVE to be intercepted by the active splitter. The power would be split out regardless of something being "alive" to talk to on the RJ45 port because it wouldn't and probably shouldn't respond to a power request anyway.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Got a couple ordered. Probably should've ordered a few pairs to keep a couple around for "emergencies".

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes. very handy for when you want to do cam comparisons in the same location without running another wire...
(and in case it wasn't clear, the 'duh' in previous post was aimed at myself, not you... :)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
It wasn't terribly clear but I don't quickly assume offence was intended. I'm a wise-ass whose humour doesn't always come across well on the screen so I try and give others the benefit of the doubt as well. And sometimes I'm just an ass. :)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Layout is buggered up on my phone but I get what you mean. I wonder if a fellow dare try it on a gigabit PoE+ switch where it might be testing the other 2 pairs for GigE?

I know, I know. Try it and report back... :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it would probably be pretty trivial to just take one of the existing PoE 12v splitters and solder a passthrough bridge internally.. havent cracked one open to look at the inside

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
come to think of it, mode-B injection may well work with Gig-PoE-modeA, as the dc power should be 'ships-in-the-night' with the data.
i don't have Gig-PoE myself to test or i would...

Jeff-in-Tx

n3wb
Reaction score
This is an old thread but for future reference:
$44.60 as of this writing - From Tycon, see the POE-MSPLT-4812P-F. It provides dual power output. 12VDC and POE on the downstream (output) RJ45.
Tycon Power Systems - POE-MSPLT-4812P-F - Tycon Power POE Splitter, 48VDC 802.3af POE Input, 12VDC @ 1A Output, 12W

The POE-MSPLT-4812P-F is a unique splitter with dual outputs. It accepts 802.3af or 802.3at PoE and provides 48V PoE and 12VDC outputs concurrently so two separate devices can be powered. The 12VDC output is provided on a standard 5.5mm/2.5mm barrel connector and the Data/PoE output is provided on standard female RJ45 network connector, each on a dedicated 6 cable. The DC connector is compatible with Tycon passive PoE injectors like POE-INJ-1000-S for ease of integration. In addition to being compatible with 10/100MB Ethernet speeds, inputs and outputs are isolated and the devices protections for short circuit and overload. Features Very Compact Size Dual Output: 48V Passive PoE and 24VDC Output Converts an Active PoE Input to a DC Output Output Power up to 15W Short Circuit, Over Current Protection

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is an old thread but for future reference:
$44.60 as of this writing - From Tycon, see the POE-MSPLT-4812P-F. It provides dual power output. 12VDC and POE on the downstream (output) RJ45.
Tycon Power Systems - POE-MSPLT-4812P-F - Tycon Power POE Splitter, 48VDC 802.3af POE Input, 12VDC @ 1A Output, 12W
The POE-MSPLT-4812P-F is a unique splitter with dual outputs. It accepts 802.3af or 802.3at PoE and provides 48V PoE and 12VDC outputs concurrently so two separate devices can be powered. The 12VDC output is provided on a standard 5.5mm/2.5mm barrel connector and the Data/PoE output is provided on standard female RJ45 network connector, each on a dedicated 6 cable. The DC connector is compatible with Tycon passive PoE injectors like POE-INJ-1000-S for ease of integration. In addition to being compatible with 10/100MB Ethernet speeds, inputs and outputs are isolated and the devices protections for short circuit and overload. Features Very Compact Size Dual Output: 48V Passive PoE and 24VDC Output Converts an Active PoE Input to a DC Output Output Power up to 15W Short Circuit, Over Current Protection
Exactly what I am looking for. Pricey. With shipping, if you order 1, it is about $55-$60, depending on vendor. WATCH THE MODEL NUMBERS!! They do make a 5VDC model that Newegg has and would be $45 with shipping.

psandor

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for exactly the same thing, but with 5V and PoE outputs. The Tycon Power 5VDC one does not have PoE output, only data. Has anyone seen a 5V version?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
an expensive solution to a non-problem imo...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for exactly the same thing, but with 5V and PoE outputs. The Tycon Power 5VDC one does not have PoE output, only data. Has anyone seen a 5V version?
I'm curious...what is it you're setting up?

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT ! :wave: