POE to POE+

beek

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Cisco 3560 Catalyst 24port POE switch that I use for my 5 POE camera's that was gifted to me from work. I am looking at various PTZ camera's now and they require the POE+, my switch will deliver upto 15 watts per port. Is there an adapter or a hack that anyone knows of where I could combine two ports to get POE+ or should I just go find a POE+ injector. What do you pro's do when you go from 802.3af to 802.3at for just one PTZ?

I may consider going down to a 8 port POE+ switch to save on power from this old rackmount 24 port switch, any recommendations there (I would want at least 6 POE's).

Thanks
Beek

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The PoE+ standard is 802.3at. Normal PoE is 802.3af, but even so that injector might work if it does in fact provide 25W safely, depending on how much your PTZ actually will draw.

When I needed to power my new Dahua 12x PTZ, I picked up a ZyXEL GS1100-8HP for about $80 on sale at newegg. It is an 8 port gigabit switch with 4x PoE+ ports. It has a 75 watt power budget which means you really can only use two PoE+ devices with it, or maybe 3 if each device uses less than 25 watts.