Potential Blue Iris LPR and Parking AI integration.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This LPR service looks pretty cool!

Gnodu

n3wb
Reaction score
Not to be a pest, but any word on this? After a car break-in incident at our house, and not being able to read the plate of the care that almost certainly was the "drive by" just before the incident... this is a feature I would LOVE to have--- even at a (reasonable) cost.

About to purchase & jump to version 5, please keep up the good work!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to be a pest, but any word on this? After a car break-in incident at our house, and not being able to read the plate of the care that almost certainly was the "drive by" just before the incident... this is a feature I would LOVE to have--- even at a (reasonable) cost.

About to purchase & jump to version 5, please keep up the good work!
You would have to contact support. However if you were not able to read the plate the software could not read the plate either. You need to set up a camera dedicated to LPR.

Gnodu

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay- I was just wondering. I've actually got a camera that I have already placed that I'd hoped to re-focus (out further on the street)-- just added another 4K to cover the area that would have been nice to have a little better coverage, so that I could afford to lose the one I'd had in mind for license plate reading.

Considering it's a two-car-wide driveway, and has coverage that amounts to a 4K (8MP) camera on each side at about 8 feet off the ground, and a 4-5MP (can't recall details, but it's a good varifocal) at about 16-18 ft height (this is the one I wanted to focus out and task with license plates)-- I think I can afford tyo lose the third angle. (The second 4K is a very recent addition, we wantged a MUCH better view if these idiots come back.)

I don't think I totally understand how LP Reading works, but I had always *assumed* that it could take the little bits from each frame that *could* be read, and splice it all together... but that might just mean I have been watching too many crime shows on TV!! *grin*

Appreciate your help!

Just for fun... when I showed the officer (about 20 cars were broken into overnight) the stills, the look on his face was awesome as he asked "What brand of camera took these, they are AWESOME!" (I couldn't help but wonder about the other photos he had seen,... but didn't want to be rude and ask!

Attachments

xytechlegit00

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry that happened to you. This is why I always park both of my cars inside my garage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay- I was just wondering. I've actually got a camera that I have already placed that I'd hoped to re-focus (out further on the street)-- just added another 4K to cover the area that would have been nice to have a little better coverage, so that I could afford to lose the one I'd had in mind for license plate reading.

Considering it's a two-car-wide driveway, and has coverage that amounts to a 4K (8MP) camera on each side at about 8 feet off the ground, and a 4-5MP (can't recall details, but it's a good varifocal) at about 16-18 ft height (this is the one I wanted to focus out and task with license plates)-- I think I can afford tyo lose the third angle. (The second 4K is a very recent addition, we wantged a MUCH better view if these idiots come back.)

I don't think I totally understand how LP Reading works, but I had always *assumed* that it could take the little bits from each frame that *could* be read, and splice it all together... but that might just mean I have been watching too many crime shows on TV!! *grin*

Appreciate your help!

Just for fun... when I showed the officer (about 20 cars were broken into overnight) the stills, the look on his face was awesome as he asked "What brand of camera took these, they are AWESOME!" (I couldn't help but wonder about the other photos he had seen,... but didn't want to be rude and ask!
Unfortunately that's not how LPR works. You need a clear shot of the plate.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure they (police) usually see video from old installs, or from new installs where the professionals are using outdated equipment. A lot of the tech that we enjoy hasn't been around very long. Affordable HD systems are basically new this decade, and really great low light capability is just within the last few years. Especially if it is typical residential systems where they are probalby used to cameras which have super wide angles, bad night vision, wifi, and low bit rates streaming to "the cloud".

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm sure they (police) usually see video from old installs, or from new installs where the professionals are using outdated equipment. A lot of the tech that we enjoy hasn't been around very long. Affordable HD systems are basically new this decade, and really great low light capability is just within the last few years. Especially if it is typical residential systems where they are probalby used to cameras which have super wide angles, bad night vision, wifi, and low bit rates streaming to "the cloud".
A lot of video I see is really crappy because they cranked down the quality in favor of long retention. The live view is crystal clear but the recorded video is pixelated. No point in a fancy system if the video is useless!! I personally would rather have 30 days of high quality video than 90 days of crap.

One store had the frame rate so low that it missed people coming through the door entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk