ptz camera goes to specific position when I turn on tracking

wddossett

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an ANPVIZ PTZ camera... I wish I didn't, but I have it for now and can't afford anything else for now. They don't answer support requests period. It works as a camera and I had turned on auto tracking and was using it with BI and it was working great. Then this morning, I plugged it into a new switch that is going on my building site - since I did that, everytime I turn on autotracking it goes to a specific position that unfortunately, is pointing back at the wall - if I adjust it using ptz controls to the direction I want it to look, it goes back to this position. I can't see any home position in the cameras gui settings. I have shut down BI and it continues to do this, so it is the camera that is doing this, not BI. I am not sure about ANPVIZ, is it actually hikvision? I don't see ANPVIZ listed as a mfgr under camera types in BI... so I guess it isn't very popular. They have a web site, but no answer to support emails I have sent. I bought it in a hurry off of Amazon. Learned my lesson and will be using something better once the house is built and I put up cameras, fairly impressed with the reolink duo 16mp 180 deg camera for the sames sort of price.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Imagine that, support sucks LOL.

Actually, the pulldowns in BI for cameras are because those cameras don't follow ONVIF protocol, so it is actually better to have the find/inspect pull up generic as you know it follows typical ONVIF protocol.

Yes ANPVIZ is usually made by Hikvision.

I suspect either you or BI inadvertently changed something - I would factory reset the PTZ and don't reconnect to BI and see if the problem is fixed.

If you buy Reolink, you will wish you didn't, so let's inform you now LOL:

Keep in mind that reolinks, especially at night are horrible. And they don't play well with BI.

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1708801531582.png

How about missing everything but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1708801585568.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1708801599328.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink thread.

You can see all the attempts people have provided to demonstrate the quality of Reolink, and they are all a blurry mess at night or missing body parts or other messes.

We have challenged someone to provide a clean capture of someone moving at night with a Reolink and as you can see with 20 pages, nobody has yet to provide a usable image with motion at night.

Reolink's algorithm is designed to produce a nice bright static image at night and that comes at a cost of blur and ghost and missing body parts at night.

Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

wddossett

n3wb
Reaction score
right, did a ptz factory reset and its working again... hope this isn't going to happen frequently, but wondering if it will on reboot of camera maybe, will have to try... will have to figure out how to call the factory reset and then the enable auto tracking, but should be doable if if I need to run a powershell script and figure out an api call, I used to do devops hack programming and pretty good at it. consider myself informed and warned about reolink - is there anywhere on here you recommend to get recommendations on good cameras? I really liked the idea of 180deg pano and that I could have less cameras on the house rather than say two at each corner for full coverage. thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind the 180 degree cameras are GREAT overview cameras, but won't do squat for IDENTIFY.

I started with the four 2.8mm wide angle camera box kit system and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 180 cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera. At 40 feet out you need a different camera.

See this thread that lists the most commonly recommended cameras here based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

wddossett

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, that is a great list of cameras and uses/capabilites. I’m building a house after we lost ours in a wildfire. I’m upping my budget for cameras. Have a great view direct down the only street into our area, so the license plate option is going there. Thanks again!