Push notifications possible with VPN?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Is there any way to get push notifications from BI to my android phone if I don't have ports opened? I use openvpn to view the BI app.

If not, is it safe to open them for this purpose. Or does it defeat the purpose of even having the vpn? Still new at networking. Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any way to get push notifications from BI to my android phone if I don't have ports opened? I use openvpn to view the BI app.

If not, is it safe to open them for this purpose. Or does it defeat the purpose of even having the vpn? Still new at networking. Thanks.
Don't open ports.
You should get push notifications, I do to my Android.
Do you get them when you are at home on your wifi network?

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Don't open ports.
You should get push notifications, I do to my Android.
Do you get them when you are at home on your wifi network?
Thanks, good to know. I only started messing with it, so I'm sure I have something set up wrong then. I'll report back when I get home.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Remember that OpenVPN and "opening ports" (which you usually shouldn't do) only affect data coming from the Internet that's trying to get inside your home network.

For data that starts from inside your home network trying to get to the internet (like your Blue Iris PC trying to send out a push notification), there's usually nothing on a home network that blocks that traffic. You don't have to "open ports" for data flowing this direction.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
:smash: Didn't have my devices checked in the main settings menu under mobile devices. Working now, but glad I asked before I started messing with ports.

Thanks