R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

e9650440b2

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks mate.
I successfully upgraded my CN 5.4.0 to EN 5.4.5 with my old Windows XP Notebook ;)
Can't be happier!

Capture d’écran 2019-10-25 à 00.37.11.png

Thank you!

Last edited:

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@alastairstevenson: I just wanted you to know that, thanks to you sharing this information, I was able to help out a family member that had inadvertently bought a gray market camera and bricked it trying to apply a firmware update.

Your tools and detailed process worked perfectly with the only "hiccup" being that the EN version didn't get me the "System update completed" message on the first try - but since even that was spelled out as a possibility in your instructions along with a fix, I promptly moved on to the CN version and had their camera up and running minutes later.

From myself and my very grateful family member, Thank You!!!

dabhand

n3wb
Reaction score
So this is a 'bricked' camera as opposed to one that just needed conversion and updating?
What happened to it?
None of them where bricked - they all worked fine at my old house when I moved I brought them with me and they sat in a box in the garage for a couple of years until I got around to fitting them at my new house.

The DS-2CD3132-1 i am having trouble with I have now manged to get working and have access to the web GUI so I just need to do the conversion / firmware update.

I have tried the Hikvision tftp updater again but it still doesn't get past the initialisation.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried the Hikvision tftp updater again but it still doesn't get past the initialisation.
Apologies if you've answered this before - definitely not using PoE to power, or a direct RJ45 cable to the PC?
Both of these can be a bit troublesome with the tftp updater operation, though sometimes just trying mutiple times triggers a result.

Intravix

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you very much to OP and others that have contributed.

I have a DS-2CD2332-I that I bricked (was running 5.2.8, upgraded to 5.3.0 and it bricked).

Went through the process and was able to upgrade straight to 5.4.5 as OP found. I did find that I had to transfer the brickfixv2 across and reboot the camera twice. After the final reboot it came up in SADP as Inactive, happy days.

maxcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

while reading a lot of these posts (but not all), I just wanted to know if I could also update my two cams (DS-2CD2345-I and DS-2CD2145F-IS)??
They are Chinese labeled (in the serial No.) but are running a multilanguage Firmware in version 5.3.6.....
Any chance I can update to a newer firmware?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
They are Chinese labeled (in the serial No.) but are running a multilanguage Firmware in version 5.3.6.....
With that version of firmware, model of camera and being Chinese, there is a good chance they are running the (quite sophisticated) 'Dieter & Fiona' hacked-to-ML firmware.
I had a couple of cameras like that. The hacked firmware has update capabilities removed, and has a 'licence file' that shuts down the patcher on tamper detection.
I fixed them up manually by using the serial console to boot the kernel only, then copying in the replacement application and rootfs files manually.

oldsailor

n3wb
Reaction score
Dear Alastair, thank you so much. I have been in the local(Prague) Hikvision service a time ago and they told me, bricked, no chance to get it working again. Then i find the camera somwhere in the box and it didnt let me sleep, until i find your thread. I was bit fightnig with the step 3, but the fault was on my side. Wrong fw. One more time thank you. If you will visit Prague, i'am your free guide. Greats Martin

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, Martin, another good result.

I've been to Prague a couple of times, it's a beautiful city.
Once on a 'city break' and once on a walking holiday out into Bohemia.
Your lager and beer is the best!

Schardt

n3wb
Reaction score
How can I get a mtdblock6 for 2CD2332 with 5.4.5? Command /dav/fixup.sh is "Not supported" and command cat /dev/mtdblock6 > mtdblock6_orig is "Not support 2."
I have got 3 Cameras with the same MAC und SerialNo.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
How can I get a mtdblock6 for 2CD2332 with 5.4.5? Command /dav/fixup.sh is "Not supported" and command cat /dev/mtdblock6 > mtdblock6_orig is "Not support 2."
/dav/fixup.sh is part of the brickfixV2 firmware - it's not native to the stock firmware.
The command prompt you are seeing (presumably SSH is enabled or maybe the serial console) is the 'psh restricted shell'. Doesn't allow most shell commands.
A word of warning though - trying to write mtdblock6 on a kernel above 5.3.0 will likely result in the triggering of a deliberate bricking trap that's hard to get out of.

I have got 3 Cameras with the same MAC und SerialNo.
The best way to resolve that is to use the brickfixV2 process, as per the first post in this thread, and make the needed additional changes to mtd6ro_mod for the MAC address and serial number, and then the checksum.
It sounds like the cameras, because they are Chinese and showing language=1 with 5.4.5 firmware, may have had the brickfixV2 method already applied but the same mtd6ro_mod file written back to them all.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This method works with any R0 series cameras.
What models of camera are you interested in?
Are they Chinese cameras?