Recommendations for a doorbell cam, etc.

Ip2b

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI, I currently have a very old RCA HSDB1 that's still kicking, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm recording it with a Laview NVR, which is also pretty old and only capable of 1080p.

The condo has CAT5 outlets in various places, but unfortunately none outside and none really near a place where I'd be able to get to the doorbell area, so I won't able to get the POE version of Reolink (it would have to be the WIFI version.)

Reading around, it seems like the Reolink doorbell cam is one of the best at this time. I want to have 24/7 recording, so I am trying to figure out which NVR I should get, because I'd also like to get a couple cameras on the outside. I tried out a couple free programs (Scrypted and Frigate and had various issues, such as video lag, etc.)

Going back to the POE issue, I have a central hub where all the CAT5 wires feed into, so I was thinking of possibly using one of the closest CAT5 outlets to feed a camera a the front of the place. The problem is, I don't really want to drill holes, so I was thinking it might be possible to using this to get through the window:
Considering all of the above, what NVR/camera system would you recommend? Can CAT5 even run POE?

Thanks

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can CAT5 even run POE?
Yes, CAT-5e or 6 that is pure copper (not CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum) can run POE up to about 328 feet but......that skinny thru-the-window coupler has some very poor reviews especially pertaining to POE.

Ip2b

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, CAT-5e or 6 that is pure copper (not CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum) can run POE up to about 328 feet but......that skinny thru-the-window coupler has some very poor reviews especially pertaining to POE.
House only has cat5. Maybe I need to find good ip cameras. Still, the challenge is getting any wires outside.