derost

n3wb
Reaction score
- Scenario:
500' curving driveway.
Tree obstructions.
Driveway ending at busy street.

- Desire:
Triggering at beginning of driveway, without false triggers from passing cars on street (camera cannot be aimed down the driveway)

- Considerations:
1) Camera that accepts remote motion sensor connection.
2) $50 Reolink 2K SOLAR camera aimed across entrance, used as triggering device for 8MP POE camera 250' down driveway, facing down driveway. (yes, wifi + security = BS... using as trigger)
3) ???????

- Non-Starters
Raspberry Pi bla bla bla
Private satellite in geosynchronous orbit

--Discuss---

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I take it that there is no 120VAC power at the 500 ft. mark at the busy street (hence, "solar" cam) but what about at the 250 ft. mark where the POE cam is desired?
Or would you run 250 ft. of CAT cable from the house or building to power the POE cam?
Budget?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of things you could do depending on what you want and your budget.

You could consider an automatic gate and either running power and data to the gate or powering the gate off a larger solar panel and long range wifi to the house.

An auto tracking PTZ at the house is one option.

You can detect vehicles with various sensors and people with a driveway motion sensor or photo eye. Some of the wireless driveway alert systems have outputs that could trigger a PTZ to jump to a specific preset.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lots of things you could do depending on what you want and your budget.

You could consider an automatic gate and either running power and data to the gate or powering the gate off a larger solar panel and long range wifi to the house.

An auto tracking PTZ at the house is one option.

You can detect vehicles with various sensors and people with a driveway motion sensor or photo eye. Some of the wireless driveway alert systems have outputs that could trigger a PTZ to jump to a specific preset.
Optex has a good bang for the buck for outer peremiter intrusion. Rcdt 20 has alarm outs on interior annunciator to trigger a ptz preset. It runs on a once a year 9v and has 1000’ real world range.

derost

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for your input.

• There is not 120v at the end of the driveway, and I have no intention of doing so, for a gate or camera/ sensor
  • For the 250 camera, yes I was going to run CAT6 to the camera for POE, not a problem doing that.
  • Budget = what ever I can hide from my wife... prefer to stay under $100 as I'm just trying to trigger the 250' camera, which would then trigger through BI the other cameras up at the house.
  • Auto tracking PTZ is a good suggestion, but would not work for this situation.
  • I currently have a solar powered driveway alarm that just dingdongs at the house. Always reliable, but did not think it was possible to bridge that to BI... I don't know what I don't know.
  • The Optex solution: If I understand correctly, the alarm outputs would be a physical connection to a PTZ that accepts wired inputs, which I do not have
Scenario (existing & desired): End of driveways stops at a busy street. I need to have a trigger scanning perpendicular to the driveway, just inside from the street. This will prevent triggers from all the passing cars. When trigger is activated, it prompts the 250 camera, facing down the driveway to capture all incoming traffic from the street on in. That camera, through BI, then triggers the house cameras.