remotely view your Blue Iris setup?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
If you setup a Blue Iris computer that will specifically be for Blue Iris only, can you also put the software on a remote computer/laptop so you can view and control it? Does the Blue Iris license allow this without extra charge?

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No. You would need to purchase an additional license for every PC that you want the full Blue Iris installed on.
I think that if you contact the developer they may offer you a discounted price on additional licenses.
I use VPN and remote desktop to access my BI server when I am away from home.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To view the cameras on Blue Iris most people use the web interface UI3. Or they use the APP on there android or apple phones.
To securely remotely access BI most people run a inbound VPN such as OpenVPN to access the BI computer.

Why do you need to remotely control blue Iris, what are you trying to control? Most BI installations are setup up as set and forget.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use this remotely, its included in BI.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you configure a vpn, you could use a remote desktop app to access your BI server. I have remote desktop set up on my iPhone specifically for this purpose as I do not allow my cameras to access either my home network or the internet.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
To view the cameras on Blue Iris most people use the web interface UI3. Or they use the APP on there android or apple phones.
To securely remotely access BI most people run a inbound VPN such as OpenVPN to access the BI computer.

Why do you need to remotely control blue Iris, what are you trying to control? Most BI installations are setup up as set and forget.
I’m thinking that if I put together a BI computer, that I would like to keep it in the garage on a shelf that would not be the easiest to hook a monitor,keyboard,mouse.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have my BI PC running as a headless unit in the loft. I installed RDPWrap onto it so that I can then RDP to it should the need arise. If you are the only person who will be connecting that plain old vanilla RDP will do as that simply takes over the main console, RDPWrap just opens up RDP access so that multiple RDP connections are allowed with the console being left as is when I connect. In my case no real bonus of using RDPWrap but I always tend to install it on any system where I need remote access.

For access to my cams remotely I use UI3 on my smart TV and the iOS app on our phones.