Review - Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ford what are you trying to do (just point offlload to storage) and to what end target, NAS etc ? I can test on mine against QNAP
The goal is to place the vehicle snapshots (these have the ALPR metadata) in an archive in the cloud. This was working fine with the old firmware.

I can't get the camera to upload to any FTP site reliably for these snapshots, the destinations I have tried are shared folders on PCs, Macs and my Synology NAS. FileZilla places files in these destinations which indicates the credentials are correct and the FTP folders have correct permissions.

Note the camera indicates the FTP test passes and the camera will upload motion snapshots.

Note the camera places the vehicle snapshots in local storage correctly.

Larsje993

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've completely read this article but I have a few questions and hope that you guys can help me out.
Last week Andy delivered the IPC-HFW7442H-Z4, we bought this camera as dedicated LPR/ANPR camera.
Snapshots are going semi-ok.. I noticed that a lot of cars are not registered.. This is during day and night time..

I've setup video metadata with for now only Motor Vehicle Detection and People Detection.
1. I'm wondering if the detection area has been set correctly. Is the cam checking if the car/truck is COMPLETELY in the detection area or does it register when a car is entering the detection area?

detection area.JPG

2. TRIPWIRE, I've set up manual tripwire, but the snapshots are taken before cars drive across the tripwire..
See example below (left: tripwire setup - mid: snapshot (license plate fully readable but still Plate No.: Unknown) - right: overlay)
Or do you reccomend to set up tripwire as Optimized? Its a shape that I can't setup 2 tripwires in video metadata, one tripwire for arriving and one tripwire for leaving.

InkedTripwire example_LI.jpgInkedtripwire overlay_LI.jpg

4. Does the Min and Max size look at the size of the vehicle or at the license plate? Thats something I couldn't find..
min size.JPGmax size.JPG
5. Where's the pixel size for? I couldn't find it in the web os 5.0 user manual...

pixel.JPG

Thanks for your help.
All the best,
Lars

Yesitsme

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see this camera is out of stock, is their a newer model that replaced the IPC-HFW7442H-Z ?
I'm looking for a good LPR camera

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I see this camera is out of stock, is their a newer model that replaced the IPC-HFW7442H-Z ?
How far away do you want to watch out the LPR, this camera is ANPR one, if 80-120ft can use the IPC-HFW7442H-Z4.
Amazon.com

If budget is limited can use the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
What is distance to target ? Also which country ? Reason I ask is that for true ANPR then even the ITC cams like the 237 I reviewed are incredibly good BUT all depends on distance

Yesitsme

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is distance to target ? Also which country ? Reason I ask is that for true ANPR then even the ITC cams like the 237 I reviewed are incredibly good BUT all depends on distance
Not sure the measurement but see the video

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure the measurement but see the video
If you need a solid ANPR cam then I would definitely recommend the ITC-LPR237. Take a look at my reviews HERE. The cam will process everything in cam including recognition and is very accurate. It records pics to SD card but you will need an NVR or NVR platform to record the video output to as the ITC doesn’t record video to local storage. As I said if you want / need guaranteed ANPR results, this would be a good cam to look at. Just remember your distance and angle to target will be key to any decent ANPR setup.

HTH

Yesitsme

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you need a solid ANPR cam then I would definitely recommend the ITC-LPR237. Take a look at my reviews HERE. The cam will process everything in cam including recognition and is very accurate. It records pics to SD card but you will need an NVR or NVR platform to record the video output to as the ITC doesn’t record video to local storage. As I said if you want / need guaranteed ANPR results, this would be a good cam to look at. Just remember your distance and angle to target will be key to any decent ANPR setup.

HTH
Thanks, is there anything in the $300 range? It doesn't have to be 100% perfect

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, is there anything in the $300 range? It doesn't have to be 100% perfect
Well as I mentioned in my 7x42 reviews they are great cams BUT for ANPR they utilize AI which although good can be hit and miss at times (also more dependent on angle and distance) as opposed to try Traffic cams like the ITC that have onboard plate recognition algorithms that leave less to chance.

If you don’t need ANPR (Automated) recognition and want to manually review footage then regular cams with longer lenses such as the old favorite 5241-Z12 or even 5842-Z4s can be good options and save you money over the 7x42s even. Really depends on your use case, budget and need for Automated vs Manual license plate recognition. If you’re capturing a ton of plates then ANPR through ITC cams can save a ton of footage review time which pay for themselves in that respect alone.

Another option is to use the 5241-12 or 5842-Z4 and parse a stream through OpenALPR or an NVR platform with LPR (Blue Iris with Plate Recognizer, Milestone etc) and have the local (to platform) or Cloud based AI algorithms process for an automated recognition hit.

HTH

Last edited:

Yesitsme

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Manual license plate recognition should be fine
how do I get the full link for 5241-13 or 5842-Z4 , google is not being to helpful, thanks

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Manual license plate recognition should be fine
how do I get the full link for 5241-13 or 5842-Z4 , google is not being to helpful, thanks
Do you mean for purchase ? If so either of these cams, 5214-Z12 or 5842-Z4, @EMPIRETECANDY can help you with. If you meant something else then just ping me back.

Reaction score
IPC-HFW7442H-Z4 connected to NVR5232-16P-4KS2E
Trying to figure out how play back, via iOS DMSS app, vehicles that drive by. If I set AI smart plan to ANPR, I am able to use “Smart” under “Record Type” but every time it’s just a recording of after the vehicle has already passed.
Is there a way to set pre-record that I’m missing?

Reaction score
Just using motion detection records a few seconds before and after just as expected. Unfortunately it doesn’t show up as motion in the NVR, so the only way to review the video is logging into the NVR then logging into the camera. Disappointed in this camera is an understatement at this point.

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this camera model is still available, or is it superseded by something else?

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score