Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Heck, here where I live they even put reflective tape on the posts for the signs, let alone the reflective decals that the signs actually are. It drives one of my cameras nuts with the reflection from the street light.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Basics for nighttime color without blur:

• lots of light. You don’t currently have enough for the street, but may for your yard/drive
  • Exposure - again dependent on how much ambient light, but 1/120 is kinda a standard minimum
  • DNR- keep below 40

Beyond that lots of tweaking as every scene is different. Sometimes you just have to accept that you don’t have enough light, and switch to B&W with IR and get a crisp good image minus color.
When exposure shutter is set to 1/120 (quite dark for some depending on how much outside light there is), is there a recommended value for exposure comp, gain and grade? I'm still learning these camera settings from some DSLR memory :D. oh and where DNR is located ?

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All, thanks to Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY ) we have a new 4MP AI camera for testing. This camera has been provided by Andy in exchange for a fair and honest review. This camera is using the OEM model number of IPC-B5442-ZE which is the equivalent of the Dahua IPC-HFW5442-ZE for reference. The IPC-B model number is an OEM specific to Andy @EMPIRETECANDY. This is a varifocal bullet cam with a 2.7mm to 12mm optical zoom.

Full specs below and will be adding pics/vids in post 2 as well as initial thoughts, findings etc in post 3 as I test the night destroying capabilities and overall performance of this cam.

In addition to the review of the cam by itself, I also plan on testing against
  • 5231 (1/2.8” 2MP HD sensor) - Comparison in post#22
  • 2831 (1/1.8” 8MP 4K sensor) - Comparison in post #2
  • 5831 (1/2.5” 8MP 4K sensor)
From an image perspective only I may also put this up against a SD6CE225U-HNI PTZ (1/2.8” 2MP HD sensor) dialed in to similar distances/lighting conditions :)

I plan to review in multiple lighting conditions including extreme low light to test the Starlight+ features. Also intend to list some of the unique features of this particular camera not limited to its AI functionality but also FW differences as well.

If there is anything anyone wants to see specifically, please let me know and will try to accommodate.

Price from @Empirectecandy is approximately $210 and can be purchased here:

Aliexpress link - US $210.0 5% OFF|New Model IPC B5442E ZE 4MP WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera IPC B5442E ZE , free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SYFLGZ...EBQGJF&qid=1560403164&s=merchant-items&sr=1-1

SPECS
4MP WDR IR Bullet AI Network Camera

1/1.8” 4Megapixel progressive scan CMOS
H.265&H.264 triple-stream encoding
25/30fps@2688×1520
WDR(120dB), Day/Night(ICR), 3D DNR, AWB, AGC, BLC
Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS
2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens
2/1 Alarm in/out, 1/1 audio in/out
Max. IR LEDs Length 50m
Micro SD memory, IP67, IK10

Further Specs - Sheet Attached As Well

Image Sensor
- 1/1.8” 4Megapixel progressive scan CMOS
Effective Pixels - 2688(H) x 1520(V)
RAM/ROM - 1GB/128MB
Electronic Shutter Speed - Auto/Manual, 1/3~1/100000s
Minimum Illumination - 0.0024Lux/F1.8 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE), 0.059Lux/F1.8 ( Color,1/30s,30IRE), 0Lux/F1.8 (IR on)
IR Distance - Distance up to 50m (164ft)
IR LEDs - 4
Focal Length - 2.7mm~12mm
Max. Aperture - F1.8
Angle of View - H: 114°~47°, V:62°~26°
Optical Zoom - 4.4x
Close Focus Distance - 1.2m(3.94ft)

DORI Distance - Detect (D), Observe (O), Recognize (R), Identify (I)
Wide

D = 56m(184ft)
O = 20m(66ft)
R = 9m(30ft)
I = 4m(13ft)

Tele
D= 125m(410ft)
O= 50m(164ft)
R = 22m(72ft)
I = 11m(36ft)

Artificial Intelligence

Face Capture -
Supports face image capture
Face Attributes - Support 6 kinds of face attributes extraction: Age, Gender,Expression(Jolly/Surprise/Normal/Rage/Sad/Disgusted/Confused/Frightened), Glasses,Mouth Mask, Mustache & Beard

Perimeter Protection - Tripwire, Intrusion(Human & Vehicle classification), People Counting, Line crossing people counting, Region people counting

General Intelligence

Event Trigger
- Motion detection, Video tampering , Scene changing, Network disconnection , IP address conflict, Illegal Access,Storage anomaly
General Intelligence - Object Abandoned/Missing

Construction

Dimensions
- 273.2mm×95.0mm×95.0mm (10.76”×3.74”×3.74”)
Net Weight - 1.11Kg (2.44lb)
Gross Weight - 1.51Kg (3.33lb)

Now onto some CAMERA EYE CANDY !

View attachment 43463 View attachment 43465 View attachment 43466

View attachment 43467 View attachment 43468 View attachment 43469

Already installed in place and ready to be put through its paces, pics below:

View attachment 43470 View attachment 43471
Wildcat, I just bought the IPC-B5442E-ZE on Amazon to use over my Great horned owl nesting barrel. I am in the testing phase right now using a ladder with the cam and lighting mounted to it. The nest will be 18' high and I want to get everything mounted right the first time since this is pretty dangerous. I have to have the camera angle perfect so I can see the owls fly in. I have a life size owl perched on the side of the barrel to help with angle adjustment.
I need to know how to adjust the angle of the cam and I don't remember how to change it. I don't see a set screw. I don't want to completely remove the cam that is mounted to the ladder. Do I loosen what I have an arrow pointed to? Thank you in advance for your time.
Tonight I am testing a 10w LED above the cam. But I think it will be too bright. I have a 5 watt ordered that I hope will be better.
My problem is once I get everything mounted above the barrel, I won't be able to get to the lighting or cam to make adjustments because the barrel will be in the way of the ladder. The barrel will be 18' from the ground and the cam has to be 25" above the barrel rim so the owls can safely fly in and out. I just received a deadcat to put over my mic and of course today there isn't any wind :( This is the mic I have had the best luck using. I can adjust the background noise.
https://a.co/d/fxacD1r I'm thinking I can surround it with chicken wire and mount it inside the barrel.
Anyway, if you can kindly tell me how to adjust the camera angle, I'd really appreciate it. I also attached a screen capture of my present set up that will be taken down if they accept the new location. The tree is dangerously leaning towards our house and I don't want anything to happen to my owls if they happen to be nesting.
Take care, Terri

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Is it normal for the edges to be soft/not sharply focussed at night when zoomed in?
Mine is sharp. Now I had to replace one where the image was blurry on half the screen at this location. Here us a night shot and it is mounted in a pine tree. Night shots are the worst-case scenario.

Camera 4B night..jpg

Last edited: