Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks. I def. like your T, W, B vs the HD(whatever) that Dahua uses.
There has a strange thing, dahua never release S1 of this IPC-HDW2231T-ZS, and now they use S2 instead of S1. so many guys told me make sure the camera is S2. Lol.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so many guys told me make sure the camera is S2. Lol.
I think to most, this camera is the "2231 upgrade"... So they don't want the original IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, they want this new IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2. :)

Do you know what the R (in IPC-HDW2231R-ZS) and T (IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2) stand for?

Ajampaniki

n3wb
Reaction score
I read that this camera, compared to the 5231, is missing some of the "smart features". Does anybody know which features it is missing compared to the 5231?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the 5231 can do face detection and abandoned object detection. I don't see those features listed on this model's spec sheet.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read that this camera, compared to the 5231, is missing some of the "smart features". Does anybody know which features it is missing compared to the 5231?
Smart Functions in IPC T2231RP-ZS
  • Smart Plan only has IVS
  • IVS only has Tripwire and Intrusion box
Smart Functions in 5231ZE:
  • Face Detection
  • IVS
  • Tripwire
  • Intrusion
  • Abandoned Object
  • Missing Object

Ajampaniki

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast replies :) I'm only going to be using the camera for intrusion detection of our front and back yard, so I'm pretty sure I'm fine with these options.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There has a strange thing, dahua never release S1 of this IPC-HDW2231T-ZS, and now they use S2 instead of S1. so many guys told me make sure the camera is S2. Lol.
see i'm not the only one that asked you! :) there are other versions like aristo said, i finally found the 2019 version 3 international catalog to compare part numbers and it lists both. is there any cross reference chart somewhere? i'd like to see what this 2231T-ZS-S2 camera would be with a US part number.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and what do you know, amazon just showed up with mine. model number on the bottom of the camera says IPC-T2231T-ZS now to figure out how to access it, i guess i'll plug it straight into the router and download DMSS or whatever it's called for android. lots to learn here but once i do im going to post tons of videos, reviews, etc on youtube :)

Last edited:

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well apparently i don't know what i'm doing. i downloaded smartPSS for windows, plugged in the camera, clicked add device, searched. it sees the camera, when i add it, it asks me for a login. when i enter admin/admin it shows the camera added to the list but shows it to be offline, any suggestions? I've searched youtube, dahuawiki, etc and they are all old videos which show an older version of DSS and none of this is helping me. Anyone that wants a better camera system searches the internet, find this forum and ends up buying cameras from Andy but MAN is this frustrating, now i see why people still purchase the 4k lorex systems at costco. can you tell i'm frustrated?

Reaction score
well apparently i don't know what i'm doing. i downloaded smartPSS for windows, plugged in the camera, clicked add device, searched. it sees the camera, when i add it, it asks me for a login. when i enter admin/admin it shows the camera added to the list but shows it to be offline, any suggestions? I've searched youtube, dahuawiki, etc and they are all old videos which show an older version of DSS and none of this is helping me. Anyone that wants a better camera system searches the internet, find this forum and ends up buying cameras from Andy but MAN is this frustrating, now i see why people still purchase the 4k lorex systems at costco. can you tell i'm frustrated?
It is a learning curve just don't get frustrated. just go over the wiki and youtube and the forums here, you will get it. I felt the same way but i just continued to research until i am now finally getting it. But i don't care to get alerts and clips sent to my phone, and i don't care to look in on my home when i am away. I use Blue iris and i record everything. If something happens i have an alarm system that will send the police and call me. There is nothing i could do if i received an alert while not home and there is someone breaking in, other than just watching them. So i am happy with just coming home and going through my motion triggered clips to see all the motion around my place that day. I have this camera and it is great. Good luck you will get it going.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is a learning curve just don't get frustrated. just go over the wiki and youtube and the forums here, you will get it. I felt the same way but i just continued to research until i am now finally getting it. But i don't care to get alerts and clips sent to my phone, and i don't care to look in on my home when i am away. I use Blue iris and i record everything. If something happens i have an alarm system that will send the police and call me. There is nothing i could do if i received an alert while not home and there is someone breaking in, other than just watching them. So i am happy with just coming home and going through my motion triggered clips to see all the motion around my place that day. I have this camera and it is great. Good luck you will get it going.
thanks, i started another thread on this but already pissing some people off including myself, looks like it's all going back.

Reaction score
First, access the camera via a browser like IE, Firefox or Pale Moon. Forget about the 3rd party software until after the camera is properly set up. READ THE WIKI!
And, only assuming here, you do have it connected either to an external power supply or to a POE/POE+ plus switch, correct? You can't plug the ethernet cable just in to any normal switch/router port and expect it to work. It needs external power.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, access the camera via a browser like IE, Firefox or Pale Moon. Forget about the 3rd party software until after the camera is properly set up. READ THE WIKI!
And, only assuming here, you do have it connected either to an external power supply or to a POE/POE+ plus switch, correct? You can't plug the ethernet cable just in to any normal switch/router port and expect it to work. It needs external power.
thanks for the help, i have another thread on this and finally got it working. you can't go straight to the camera's ip address via browser, you need to use a config tool to activate it first. then there's a sequence to get it to show online via smartpss, lots of tools, versions, etc. none of the videos or links in the wiki worked, if they did they were outdated.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the help, i have another thread on this and finally got it working. you can't go straight to the camera's ip address via browser, you need to use a config tool to activate it first. then there's a sequence to get it to show online via smartpss, lots of tools, versions, etc. none of the videos or links in the wiki worked, if they did they were outdated.
Not true at all.
You can easily use the configtool that Dahua provides to find a new camera and initialize it amongst other functions. Read the directions included with configtool.
Also, if your computer you are using to setup the cam is on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, you can indeed use a browser to go straight to the cams default IP of 192.168.1.108 to set it up.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not true at all.
You can easily use the configtool that Dahua provides to find a new camera and initialize it amongst other functions. Read the directions included with configtool.
Also, if your computer you are using to setup the cam is on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, you can indeed use a browser to go straight to the cams default IP of 192.168.1.108 to set it up.
interesting, i went into my computer and changed the IP address per instructions from other members and then tried to talk to a new camera and it wouldnt work. i had to use the config tool first and then initialize it. but once you're in the config tool initializing the camera you mind as well change the ip of the cam right there instead of changing your computers ip address, i learned this the hard way last night :) there's a certain sequence in doing this, lots of refreshing, password entering etc, once that was done then i could access the cam direct by entering the ip in my browser. i still think the config tool is difficult to use but it is what it is, not to mention there are several stand alone config tool versions and the ones in the different versions of smartpss. it's like what kind of chocolate do you want in your milk? :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that config tool isn't the easiest thing to use, but it's not the hardest either. I went through the same process of figuring it out. Whether you want to or not, you need to learn some of the networking stuff to troubleshoot when something quits working.