RIP BI Server : ( How best to restore v4 to a new machine?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Bad news is that my server died (system board failure). Good news is that I have a better one on the way.

I have my BI key and the old drive. Everything should be accessible on the drive. Although not completely up to date I also have exports that I've done at various times. I can download the last BI4 version here. So should have all of the pieces. Didn't really want to update to 5 yet if I can avoid it but will if I need to/easier.

So how best to go about restoring my current BI v4 to the new machine? Does BI still let you authorize the older version when setting up?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bad news is that my server died (system board failure). Good news is that I have a better one on the way.

I have my BI key and the old drive. Everything should be accessible on the drive. Although not completely up to date I also have exports that I've done at various times. I can download the last BI4 version here. So should have all of the pieces. Didn't really want to update to 5 yet if I can avoid it but will if I need to/easier.

So how best to go about restoring my current BI v4 to the new machine? Does BI still let you authorize the older version when setting up?
Yes, just point your folders correctly to the old drive.
Import the backups.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Damn... perfect timing. Coincidentally just got the machine set up and I'm doing this right now.

Unfortunately having a fundamental problem - BI v4 version that I download from BI's site installs but won't open. Generates an error saying can't load. So stuck for the moment. Need to figure out why...

Edit to add, solution here:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Damn... perfect timing. Coincidentally just got the machine set up and I'm doing this right now.

Unfortunately having a fundamental problem - BI v4 version that I download from BI's site installs but won't open. Generates an error saying can't load. So stuck for the moment. Need to figure out why...

Edit to add, solution here:
There is an easy solution for this error. It occurs in BI5 as well. Search the forum. If you are reinstalling from scratch, you should upgrade to v5, its worth 30 bux.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd posted above. Need the C++ runtimes installed. Easy fix.

Back in action again now without any troubles. I had a backup .reg file from a week or so ago and everything came over OK. New machine is much better so works out well in the end. I'll move to 5 at some point but just wanted to get things back up as they were as quickly as possible. Feels odd not to have any visibility.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Similar to what @looney2ns said above but I put the old HDD in a external USB dock, created identical folders on the new WD Purple HDD ("new", "storage", etc.), and copied them over.

I had already put Win 10, the BI4 program and the BI "db" folder on a new SSD and had already installed the "vcredist_x64.exe" as you linked in your post so after it was all up and running in BI did a db repair, BI found everything, worked like a charm.

BTW, doing a fresh install of Win 10 onto that SSD from a USB flash drive created with the MS Windows 10 Media Creation Tool was an absolute dream.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Same. Didn't even have to do any copying since I already had my storage on a second 8TB drive and just moved that over with the same drive letter. Took all of about 15 minutes once I had the rest of the machine set up and ready to go.