Roof mounted "inverted" PTZ cam suggestions

Reaction score
Our new house sits on a hill and has an amazing 20+ mile view in nearly all directions.

I was thinking about putting a PTZ camera on the roof but most of the models hang down. Are there any that surface mount and spin 360 degrees?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I believe that this camera is exactly what you're looking for

PTZ1A225U-IRA-N

RodeoGeorge
I have this cam from Andy. It is awesome. If you mount it in a location that gives it access to the night sky, it's great for meteor showers and other cosmic events. Even in full color mode.
I will have to say, since it's a little older than the AI cams, the autotracking on this cam is pretty useless. Unless you want to track something that's 40 feet or more away. Most of the older cams in this price range have the same problem. It's very hit or miss.

Reaction score
.. since it's a little older than the AI cams, the autotracking on this cam is pretty useless.
When you say "AI cams" do you mean cams that are directly connected to the internet to process the video for auto PTZ control?

Reaction score
When you say "AI cams" do you mean cams that are directly connected to the internet to process the video for auto PTZ control?
For home use, i definitely do not recommend connecting any camera from Dahua/Hikvision directly to the Internet unless they are something like a Ring or Arlo camera. Those I do not recommend at all.
I am referring to the newer generation cameras like the ones linked below that have firmware that can identify humans/cars over rustling leaves and shadows, when it comes to motion and triggering events for alarms, etc.
Look at the specs/reviews on these, and you will see how much better they are.

Note the second linked camera does not do autotracking. Only the more intelligent and more expensive cameras will autotrack.

Reaction score
For home use, i definitely do not recommend connecting any camera from Dahua/Hikvision directly to the Internet unless they are something like a Ring or Arlo camera.
I don't trust anyone's equipment to have an outbound connection. Sadly, most people do not have the skillset to protect their edge connection to the Internet.

.. that have firmware that can identify humans/cars over rustling leaves and shadows ..
Understood. Thanks for mentioning the difference!