Secondary backup NVR or NAS?

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever setup a system in which you can have 2 devices recording the same set of cameras? I want to propose setting up a primary NVR (Hikvision) unit that records the video but have a secondary unit, either a NAS or another NVR, to make a backup copy. There are 2 reasons why I want to do this, first, is incase of a robbery, the backup device will less likely be stolen, as the thief will probably try to disable or steal the first machine and think that everything is disabled. The second reason would atleast buy me a little time just incase the first NVR hard drives do die, there is still another copy on the network.

From the reading on the forum, it looks like the NAS route has issues detecting the quota and overwriting the storage after it's full. It looks like I will need to setup every individual camera to record to the NAS, so that means if I have 16 cameras, I'll need to setup 16 different shares, one of each camera to record to. If I got with the NAS route, if the camera is damaged and/or stolen, how will I be able to play back the recorded footage record on the NAS? Will I have direct access to the MP4 files that it encodes to each individual share?