sentry not detecting human activity at night maybe need help with settings please

leec32

n3wb
Reaction score
hi

i currently have 7 days left demo with bi and have been using sentry with it, one of the main reasons i want the software is for the AI

before i commit to buying i need to make sure it is suitable for me needs and at the moment im finding it hard to get it right

i have 5 cameras situated around my home and all cross view at some point but from different angles so if you were to walk the full circle of my house each camera picks you up and also coming in from any angle at least 2 of them should pick you up at the same time.

so my problem is, quite a few times during the day bi detects movement ie a human but then the alert gets cancelled i would say 90% accurate during the day. Come night time it is not very good at all, BI detects but the alert is canceled by sentry and not flagged as human

for days and hours i have been reading through the forums and also the help documents, tinkering with settings etc and i think i might have the reason but still it is not perfect yet.

i subscribe to another ai program in where images get uploaded and you can then train them to which you want to allow and disallow, its very good but it takes some time from the images been sent to getting the alert via email and text

what i have noticed is some of the images sent have no objects/humans in the picture as if they are been sent to early, that got me thinking if the same images are been sent to sentry then obliviously they wont be flagged as human because nothing is there to detect

so i spent all last night trying to tweak make time which helped a little so i thought yes i have cracked it here lol, got up this morning it was still dark, walked around my house each camera picked me up and gave an alert in BI but only 1 got flagged by sentry as human

i am banging my head against the wall here lol, i really want to buy this software because i like it but if i cant get it to work as it should it will be a waste of money for me.

could any one please help or have any idea what i am doing wrong or not doing ?

i can let you know whatever settings i am using if you tell me what you need

thank you

leec32

n3wb
Reaction score
How well lit is the outside of your house at night?
well enough for the IR not to be triggered in the camera, not security type of light but ok, i have down lighters , it is hit and miss tbh, i have played around with a lot of settings and its quite a bit better now.

I think a lot to do with it is the image sent to sentry does not include a human, ie sent to early or to late and from a lot of reading up on the forum that seems to be the case, i tried and tested a lot with make times and its not to bad now.

Even in the day it can miss human detection, i did send sentry some clips but they have not got back to me as yet.

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
well enough for the IR not to be triggered in the camera, not security type of light but ok, i have down lighters , it is hit and miss tbh, i have played around with a lot of settings and its quite a bit better now.

I think a lot to do with it is the image sent to sentry does not include a human, ie sent to early or to late and from a lot of reading up on the forum that seems to be the case, i tried and tested a lot with make times and its not to bad now.

Even in the day it can miss human detection, i did send sentry some clips but they have not got back to me as yet.
MAKE time can be brittle. Especially if doors are in the scene. I have started recommending to users to leave the MAKE time at it's default (1s) and create a Zone. I found a zone with Sentry AI is an even better combination. For example, if you have a camera on top of the garage door, often times you get alerts when approaching the garage. However, when exiting the garage, the garage door opening may trigger the camera motion and person is not in the scene until a few seconds later and Sentry sends a no human found alert. If an area of motion were specified in front of garage but outside of the motion of the garage door, then users claim alerts are more effective.

We are in the process of trying to figure out how to process more frames to make the solution less brittle.

-- Sam from Sentry

leec32

n3wb
Reaction score
MAKE time can be brittle. Especially if doors are in the scene. I have started recommending to users to leave the MAKE time at it's default (1s) and create a Zone. I found a zone with Sentry AI is an even better combination. For example, if you have a camera on top of the garage door, often times you get alerts when approaching the garage. However, when exiting the garage, the garage door opening may trigger the camera motion and person is not in the scene until a few seconds later and Sentry sends a no human found alert. If an area of motion were specified in front of garage but outside of the motion of the garage door, then users claim alerts are more effective.

We are in the process of trying to figure out how to process more frames to make the solution less brittle.

-- Sam from Sentry
Hi

yes i will try that, it is the same with car headlights, if a car pulls up onto my drive the lights trigger the motion but not the person getting out so will get no human found, same as you suggested in the garage scenario

sorry but do you mean zones or AOI as i already use zones

varghesesa

Sentry Rep.
Reaction score
Hi

yes i will try that, it is the same with car headlights, if a car pulls up onto my drive the lights trigger the motion but not the person getting out so will get no human found, same as you suggested in the garage scenario

sorry but do you mean zones or AOI as i already use zones
Area of Interest. I thought zones and AOI were the same thing in BI...

-- Sam from Sentry