Setting up Dahua Ip cameras over WAN network

rockbios

n3wb
Reaction score
i have got 4 IP cameras IPC-HDBW1230EP installed them at office A and want the NVR 4108 hs-8p-4ks2 should be placed at office B and record the videos from office A with their WAN Network. thus any one has an idea on this solution,

regards

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have got 4 IP cameras IPC-HDBW1230EP installed them at office A and want the NVR 4108 hs-8p-4ks2 should be placed at office B and record the videos from office A with their WAN Network. thus any one has an idea on this solution,

regards
Even if you could do this, is it really a good idea?

There are VPN options (IPsec, OpenVPN, etc.) that can give you a point to point connection between two locations over the Internet which you can use for any type of network traffic you'd like. For recording IP cameras to an NVR, you'll face many issues along the way. You'll need a not-inconsequential amount of bandwidth available (upload speed at the camera location, download speed at the NVR location). If there are data caps for either WAN connection, you'll hit them in no time. There'll be additional latency. Losing Internet access at either location breaks your solution.

The list of reasons why you wouldn't want to do this gets pretty long. What's your reason for wanting to build your system this way?

rockbios

n3wb
Reaction score
Even if you could do this, is it really a good idea?

There are VPN options (IPsec, OpenVPN, etc.) that can give you a point to point connection between two locations over the Internet which you can use for any type of network traffic you'd like. For recording IP cameras to an NVR, you'll face many issues along the way. You'll need a not-inconsequential amount of bandwidth available (upload speed at the camera location, download speed at the NVR location). If there are data caps for either WAN connection, you'll hit them in no time. There'll be additional latency. Losing Internet access at either location breaks your solution.

The list of reasons why you wouldn't want to do this gets pretty long. What's your reason for wanting to build your system this way?
thanks David R1, if the VPN option( ipsec, OpenVPN will work this solution, but do you have in mind the kind of router to use for this ?

Well to be able to monitor and playback without going to the office and no one should have access to the NVR.

rockbios

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks David R1, if the VPN option( ipsec, OpenVPN will work this solution, but do you have in mind the kind of router to use for this ?

Well to be able to monitor and playback without going to the office and no one should have access to the NVR.
you know an additional 4 cameras are installed at office B and is connected to the NVR and there are free 4port that is why i want deploy this solution

DavidR1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your best bet is always whatever you or your IT staff is familiar with - you may even have the ability to use the equipment you already have depending on what it is. I don't use consumer products for the PTP connections I manage so I wouldn't be able to recommend something affordable and "off the shelf" if that's really something you want to pursue. If you don't have the expertise in-house, then your best bet is a consultant (who will probably also tell you this isn't ideal, unless they're happy just making a buck on the initial configuration.)

you know an additional 4 cameras are installed at office B and is connected to the NVR and there are free 4port that is why i want deploy this solution
I understand the desire for cost-savings. I think in the long run, you'll save yourself money and hassle just getting a second NVR for office A. Some other things to consider:
  1. Cameras at office A need to be powered somehow.
  2. Cameras at office A need network connectivity.
  3. Cameras at office A need to store video somewhere.
An NVR for each site seems like the ideal solution if you want to keep things simple. That's just my opinion though.

As for worrying about people accessing the NVR, they also shouldn't access your network equipment; presumably that equipment is secured somehow? If so, that same location would be an ideal place for your NVR (which should also be kept cool, on a UPS, etc. just like other network and computer gear.) Also, please realize that you're talking about building a solution where the network (including pieces completely beyond your control) is an integral part at all times - not just for monitoring and playback.

If you just want to monitor and playback without traveling to an offsite location, then you really you should record on site, and use a VPN only for viewing video as needed. Then it doesn't matter if there are temporary problems with your provider at either location or on the open Internet. You can view lower quality feeds remotely the majority of the time to reduce bandwidth requirements, while still having full quality available on site to be accessed when needed.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@rockbios agree with what others have said. If you have a WAN already in place for business etc, you would want to understand what is there first. For example do you have points to point VPN connects OR are you running dedicated links between sites etc, need to understand that. Similarly due to potential bandwidth consumption from the cams, you would want to oversaturate your links that are also used for regular business. Therefore VLAN setup, firewall configuration and even packet shaping for video traffic could assist in ensuring you get what you need without killing the link.

Other options (depending on your business setup) could be that the cams directly (or through a local site NVR) dump captured footage to a NAS that you have access to over the WAN for review etc. The nice part about this option is that you don't run the risk of losing or missing captures by having an NVR setup at the end of a WAN link and all of a sudden the link goes down. Failover and triangulation of WAN infrastructure could help with this of course but again not knowing if this is small, mid or large business and current topology relating to your infrastructure will play into recommendations here.

Again can suggest more specific options once we now more about your current location setups.

HTH