Sighthouhd ALPR , anyone tested it?

rec.fpver

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone used it?

I have made contact with sales to get some setup instruction or anything but no dice at the moment.
It has only been 2 working days so I won't give up hope yet.

I am hoping the cloud only option is similar to the openalpr offering.
With a easily setup local agent and simple dashboard.

Attachments

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The demo looked very impressive, I was just about to go the OpenALPR route but will hold off now, thanks for the heads up.

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had a response from sighthound, ALPR should be incorporated into sighthound video and beta testing in Jan 2020.

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A beta has been released, which runs under Docker, (a virtualised environment) I have it working on OSXs and it looks promising. Ultimately I would like to get it running on Docker on my Synology NAS but have failed so far - probably as I don't know what I'm doing!

Getting Started with Sighthound ALPR

Anyone else managed to get it working on a Synology NAS?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thought I would post that they have released the software, not sure when, I found it a couple days ago on their site and installed it.

It still has issues, it crashes several times a day for me.

The photos that it saves are usually screwed up as well. It is pulling the same h264 video feed as OpenALPR (which never screws up the saved images). It does manage to read the license plates, but this is what a saved photo looks like.

plate1.jpg

Hopefully it improves with a few releases.

Here is the same truck, saved by OpenALPR.

plate2.jpg

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Can it also Download CSV reports like openalpr ? So we can retain the data as long as we want and save images if local web server is enabled like in open alpr ?

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@tech101 Sorry, I don't know. I have already dumped it. Here are the problems I had with it:

1) Photos screwed up
2) Constant crashes
3) It would identify vehicle make & model but not associate them to the license plates
4) If the process doing the identification crashes, it kept pulling video from the camera. It would then process them later when you restarted the system. The result is the date/time that it associates to the vehicles & plates it identify were not correct.
5) I found no way to specificy a range where the system should look for plates. Other systems you specificy a range on the image where to scan for plates and not bother with other areas of the image. This reduces false positivies and can massively increase the processing power as the computer has less work to do. No such option that I could find.

Even though I was running the free edition, it was no good for me.

Regarding your question, it does appear to have an API that you could probably tap into and pull data out. However, given the above you can't pull data out in a reliable way. If you say you want all plates recorded from May 15 from 1pm - 3pm what you would actually get is plates that were identified from that time. If the system was lagging or recovering from a crash your dates & times are incorrect.

Last edited:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah, Okay that sounds like openalpr is still the best way to go :D Thank you for doing the test and sharing the results

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After trying Sighthound for a while, I returned to OpenALPR on windows, with on old i5 and a GPU (GTX1050ti) it's working well even at night.