Slow responding Dahua Cameras for the first Request

DReffects

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I am having consistent issues with 4 dahua cameras (IPC-HDW4631EM-ASE)

When trying to connect via onvif or rtsp the first request to the secondary (standard definition) h264 stream is EXTREMELY slow. 10-15 seconds slow (and/or timeout). After a few tries the stream somehow gets available and can be accessed from any device all accross my network with good responses.
This beaviour startet after enabling constant recording to sd card of the primary high-def stream. The secondary stream is available in a speedy fashion for ~30 minutes and then gets slow in response again.

Any idea how to prevent this behaviour?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Constant recording to SD card is likely the culprit - you are maxing out the CPU of the camera - especially as the card gets full.

SD cards are meant to be a backup for motion, not a primary source. The SD card will fail very quickly using it non-stop.

My cameras get buggy when the card is full, so I periodically reformat it. The CPU struggles trying to find clips to erase and record at the same time.

DReffects

n3wb
Reaction score
Constant recording to SD card is likely the culprit - you are maxing out the CPU of the camera - especially as the card gets full.
Thank you, highly interesting. What recording destination would you recommend? Unfortunately I am unable to set different destinations for motion recording and continuous recording.

I'd love to have motion on the ad card and the non stop stuff on an ftp...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Preferably an NVR or Blue Iris.

When I first started out and had just one IP camera, I did motion detect to the SD card and recorded to a hard drive on a computer via SmartPSS, which is the Dahua "app" or program.

DReffects

n3wb
Reaction score
Preferably an NVR or Blue Iris.
I'd love to use Blue Iris but i fear that i'd be to CPU intensive and causes too much power consumtion (~0,32 USD / kWh at my location). Also, will you be able to watch the full res streams when another instance (like blue iris) is accessing the stream for analysis?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you get the right CPU and optimize it per all the wiki links above, it draws very little power except when you are watching playbacks and stuff, but just sitting there, a cable box with DVR probably takes more power LOL.

Yes you can watch it full res stream in camera interface or Blue Iris while Blue Iris is doing it's thing. You can even watch the same file while it is recording to it on playback. Very versatile.

You could try the 14 day demo evaluation and see for yourself. I have a UPS backup that shows the wattage being pulled and was surprised how little difference was being pulled. Idling pulls less than my NVR was.