Smaller CPU tower footprint sought after

Reaction score
I am a happy Blue Iris software user on a Dell Optiplex 9020 MT with the Intel i7-4770k cpu, 8 TB purple, 8 x 2MP and 3 x 4MP cams. Very happy with the computer hardware setup. However, the midtower cpu base takes up some large real estate in my wall mounted cabinet. I could run with this forever but would like to consider swapping to a smaller footprint of real estate and smaller watts/power.
Option 1: keep eyes out for a SFF (small form factor). Much small footprint. Unsure of the power consumption between midtower and SFF.
Option 2: NUC. This would be great. However, I do believe I read somewhere in these forums that a NUC would not work great due to cpu heat issue.
Option 3: migrate & modify any hardware to work in a 2U server case (I believe would need low profile power supply and low profile NIC card).

Mostly leaning towards Option 3 for the real estate issue.
Mostly leaning towards Option 1 for the power consumption issue.

Lots of options through eBay. I did want to toss out that there are also more economical (though less selections) via online auction houses via proxibid or hibid.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My two cents. Not sure where your cabinet is...when you go smaller, fans are smaller and usually more noisy in order to push equivalent amount of air.

Going with a SSF, the PSU will usually be smaller in Watts (i.e. 290W vs 250W), but that would be more than enough for one hard drive, if you are not adding a video card and/or over-clocking the CPU. I have an older HP SSF (SSD + purple HD), I can hear the fans within 5ft of it, if nothing else is running.

Going to a 2U case, be ready for more noise from fans (CPU, case and PSU). If noise is not a factor, you could get a 2U case (or an older 2U server) and move the Dell components into it, with new CPU heat-sink and fan, case fans and PSU ). Just make sure that the heat-sink/fan is powerful enough to keep it cool.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Note that Dell motherboards would be highly likely to require a proprietary Dell power supply. I know the recent-gen Dell SFFs can idle at very low power consumption, like 15-18 watts idle with just a SSD and a 7th-gen or 8th-gen i5. Under load, it just depends. Add about 5 watts for your 8TB drive and whatever wattage the CPU needs to get your work done, plus some overhead on the power supply due to its imperfect efficiency.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am a happy Blue Iris software user on a Dell Optiplex 9020 MT with the Intel i7-4770k cpu, 8 TB purple, 8 x 2MP and 3 x 4MP cams. Very happy with the computer hardware setup. However, the midtower cpu base takes up some large real estate in my wall mounted cabinet. I could run with this forever but would like to consider swapping to a smaller footprint of real estate and smaller watts/power.
Option 1: keep eyes out for a SFF (small form factor). Much small footprint. Unsure of the power consumption between midtower and SFF.
Option 2: NUC. This would be great. However, I do believe I read somewhere in these forums that a NUC would not work great due to cpu heat issue.
Option 3: migrate & modify any hardware to work in a 2U server case (I believe would need low profile power supply and low profile NIC card).

Mostly leaning towards Option 3 for the real estate issue.
Mostly leaning towards Option 1 for the power consumption issue.

Lots of options through eBay. I did want to toss out that there are also more economical (though less selections) via online auction houses via proxibid or hibid.
I have two Dell Optiplex's in SFF. They are basically silent during normal operation, very low power consumption.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but I have an older Dell Inspiron 530 (Vista OS) I was able to buy a replacement power supply for on Amazon (two years ago) so I could offload files from the hard disk before retiring, due to the OS going obsolete. The power supply didn't appear to be proprietary in this case. It was $30 sold by Red_Planet_Trading. Reference link below.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.