SriHome NVS001 – forgot device password, cannot reset to factory settings

Kitsos

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me first say that I have browsed some relevant threads in this forum, but I have reached a dead end. I am aware that my NVR (NVS001 - WebArchive) is low quality, but I want to make one last attempt to make use of it before researching for a Hikvision or a Dahua.

Recently, I wanted to upgrade the hard disk in the NVR, when I discovered that I had forgotten the device password, which would let me access the various submenus. It’s been several years and I cannot find where I have stored the password, I probably thought it was too obvious for me to forget.
20240414_173400.jpg

What I tried:
  • various password combinations, including the usual (888888-admin default, 000000, 123456, etc)
  • contact SriHome support through Skype – the “Reset Password” functionality is in a submenu that needs the old password to access it…
  • reset device to factory settings – no dedicated button exists on the NVR mainboard, removing/replacing the CMOS battery does nothing, reset button on camera only restarts the camera. The cameras are factory-connected to the NVR wirelessly
  • short some connectors on the motherboard (where a reset button would be) with a metal wire for 30 seconds, no luck
20240414_112945.jpg

It seems to me that the device password is stored on some chip of the NVR mainboard. Here is the only result I could find when searching with the number of the board ( hc911-m36d-usb-rev1.0), not much help either.

The instructions here (4. How to change my device's password) are not helpful in my case, I still have access to my account password.

All thoughts and recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

Let me first say that I have browsed some relevant threads in this forum, but I have reached a dead end. I am aware that my NVR (NVS001 - WebArchive) is low quality, but I want to make one last attempt to make use of it before researching for a Hikvision or a Dahua.

Recently, I wanted to upgrade the hard disk in the NVR, when I discovered that I had forgotten the device password, which would let me access the various submenus. It’s been several years and I cannot find where I have stored the password, I probably thought it was too obvious for me to forget.
View attachment 192266

What I tried:
  • various password combinations, including the usual (888888-admin default, 000000, 123456, etc)
  • contact SriHome support through Skype – the “Reset Password” functionality is in a submenu that needs the old password to access it…
  • reset device to factory settings – no dedicated button exists on the NVR mainboard, removing/replacing the CMOS battery does nothing, reset button on camera only restarts the camera. The cameras are factory-connected to the NVR wirelessly
  • short some connectors on the motherboard (where a reset button would be) with a metal wire for 30 seconds, no luck
View attachment 192268

It seems to me that the device password is stored on some chip of the NVR mainboard. Here is the only result I could find when searching with the number of the board ( hc911-m36d-usb-rev1.0), not much help either.

The instructions here (4. How to change my device's password) are not helpful in my case, I still have access to my account password.

All thoughts and recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Welcome @Kitsos

iirc, often motherboards have a watch battery on-board to keep power for settings .. perhaps pulling that and waiting for a bit will get you back to square 1 ?

Kitsos

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @mat200 ,

Thanks, glad to be part of this forum!

Unfortunately no, the battery you refer to is what I tried first and mentioned above ("removing/replacing the CMOS battery does nothing ").

That's why I came to the conclusion that, probably, the device password is stored on some chip of the NVR mainboard

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @mat200 ,

Thanks, glad to be part of this forum!

Unfortunately no, the battery you refer to is what I tried first and mentioned above ("removing/replacing the CMOS battery does nothing ").

That's why I came to the conclusion that, probably, the device password is stored on some chip of the NVR mainboard
How long did you leave the battery out.
I'd take the battery out and leave it out and power unplugged for at least 24hrs.

Kitsos

n3wb
Reaction score
How long did you leave the battery out.
I'd take the battery out and leave it out and power unplugged for at least 24hrs.
I even replaced the battery and also booted the NVR once with no battery at all, it made no difference.

Kitsos

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps there are some other suggestions?

If not, I will start searching the Hikvisions and Dahuas over the weekend.