T54IR-ZE-S3 Proper way to set auto IR for inside use? Day/night Switch, Customized Scene, BI PTZ presets day/night

J C

n3wb
Reaction score
^^^^^^
True that can effect some things, though I havent noticed it using a Dahua PoE NVR... is that a BI thing?
No the camera setting...it happened to all 5 cameras I bought(empiretech)...it's a serious bug

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is it not storing the new settings or rather the camera's (normal) behavior of always switching from profile being adjusted back to the profile that was set as the active profile.
Remember, selecting a profile and making adjustments to its settings does so with the profile being edited temporarily activated during adjustments. Once you leave the web GUI adjustments page, the active profile takes back over.

The active profile is the one that is current scheduled.

BTW: If you use day/night utility with the new Web GUI, you also must perform the work around dance of selecting "self-adaptive" profile in the GUI before leaving the page. Doing so, enables the API calls that day/night uses to set profile. Otherwise, the commands from day/night utility are ignored. The camera will be in the wrong mode, but be responsive to day/night commands. Finally let day/night to activate the desired day or night profile.

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I had day&night profile not saving issue it turned out to be system time setting set to 12hr. Wittaj told me to change to 24hr format and profiles/schedules worked properly.
Thanks for the advice, I checked the settings but its already on 24h

BTW: If you use day/night utility with the new Web GUI, you also must perform the work around dance of selecting "self-adaptive" profile in the GUI before leaving the page. Doing so, enables the API calls that day/night uses to set profile. Otherwise, the commands from day/night utility are ignored. The camera will be in the wrong mode, but be responsive to day/night commands. Finally let day/night to activate the desired day or night profile.
Where is that utility ? I don't think I use that. I use the camera over Blue Iris so not with an specific NVR maybe that's also an imported information ? As far as I know, I don't work with API's in my case either, I think.

Attachments

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Björn0815, you are not using it. It is an app that can be downloaded, but you can also let BlueIris send the CGI commands. See here...https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-day-night-switch-utility-dahuasunrisesunset.18205/

Be aware, the timed schedule stuff is suited for outdoor usage, where there are a distinct day and night lighting conditions that start and end at sunrise / sunset. Your installation is inside a garage. There the lighting is completely unpredictable and subject to people turning room lights on/off. You can't match that with a timed schedule to change profiles. Therefore you are limited to using a single profile and letting the camera switch between color & b/w on its own within that one profile. Because it will be a single profile, it will be challenging to get exposure values optimized for both lights on / lights off conditions.

I would do all your settings under the self-adaptive mode's profile. That will automatically lock your camera into using that single, self-adaptive profile and you don't need to bother with day/night profiles. Those simply don't apply well in your indoor situation.

Björn0815

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok thanks for these further hints, I will use the self-adaptive mode for this camera.

The actual problem with the manual exposure times and switching to black and white still exists here of course, but then I'll probably have to accept that the camera has to stay in automatic mode (where the change between black and white and color works properly) which will lead to poor still images again like in this example image

Attachments

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I'm afraid that is a limitation with how Dahua implements its profile system within the camera. It doesn't change profiles based on what the camera sees or senses. It is a real pity they won't program them to work that way.

If one was seriously in need of Dahuas changing profiles in an indoor environment with artificial llights turning on and off, an external sensor and controller solution would work. A light sensor connected to a mini-controller could send day and night profile change CGI commands to the camera. That would be a trivial project for an arduino or pi enthusiast.

Another solution is possible if you have a home automation system and smart light switches. The light switch could signal your home automation control computer that lights are turned on/off. Your home automation program could then send the appropriate CGI commands to the camera. Hmnnn..... I'm have to give that a try on my system Indigo / Insteon system here for my garage camera.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Woohoo! It worked. Having my Indigo Domotics home automation program trigger on garage light changing on/off state. When Indigo sees that light turn on or off, it now runs appropriate Python to send profile change CGI command garage camera. I had not thought much about fixing this until now.

Probably need to also set both day and night profile to automatically change color mode or have wide enough exposure latitude for because garage door can open or sunlight come in window during day. For those reasons, this is a partial solution.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Any indoor camera you do recommend that wouldn't run into the issue Bjorn explained above? I would just move these to go outside.