Thoughts on adjustments/changes? (Idiot teens inside)

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These kids rolled through the subdivision a couple nights ago hitting my mailbox with a bat, and then the stop sign as they exited. Sounds like it hurt haha. This is the first incident I have actually caught on camera and it is obvious I need some adjusting.

Should I turn this camera more to the right so that it focuses better, and maybe zoom a bit to catch this type of act, or any other adjustment thoughts? I am trying to cover the front yard and will be adding a camera to the left as well which will probably just point straight out. I also just configured OpenALPR and will be setting up a cam for plates this weekend.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Lol at "what the f**", but what is the fun of these actions? Stupid "kids".

If your IR pointed a bit more to top right, you might have had better visuals on these kids. My first suggestion would be: install a (hidden) cam in the mailbox which films inside/outside your street, but if they come back with the bat, it will be destroyed anyhow. In an ideal world, one should film "in line" with the license plate, which is kinda difficult when filming 90° on the road. However if I interprete your road layout well, all cars have to take the 360° left turn after your mailbox, right? If so, I would focus at that area, but cars tend to take their turns differently, which forces you to take a "wide field" to be able to fetch all car plates. Use IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and place some cams on your layout, and you'll see which lens you'd require.

Good luck in any case!
CC

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lol at "what the f**", but what is the fun of these actions? Stupid "kids".

If your IR pointed a bit more to top right, you might have had better visuals on these kids. My first suggestion would be: install a (hidden) cam in the mailbox which films inside/outside your street, but if they come back with the bat, it will be destroyed anyhow. In an ideal world, one should film "in line" with the license plate, which is kinda difficult when filming 90° on the road. However if I interprete your road layout well, all cars have to take the 360° left turn after your mailbox, right? If so, I would focus at that area, but cars tend to take their turns differently, which forces you to take a "wide field" to be able to fetch all car plates. Use IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and place some cams on your layout, and you'll see which lens you'd require.

Good luck in any case!
CC

That is the entrance of the subdivision, we are the first house. So that is just a turnaround point. People can go straight down the road, or turn left onto another road that loops around. Either way, the new plate cam I am putting up will have almost a straight line of site to cars entering the subdivision. I feel like if I point this camera to the right a bit more and add a camera to the left, it will cover both pieces of this part of my yard well.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Either way, the new plate cam I am putting up will have almost a straight line of site to cars entering the subdivision.
What is the model of the new plate cam?