Time to get BI off of my HTPC/Gaming rig and onto it's own machine; opinion's welcome.

pmac

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, new user here, been lurking for a while though.

I've had BI running on my main HTPC/Gaming rig for a while now, and decided it's time to get it onto it's own dedicated machine.

I'm running 4x 5MP cameras right now at 15fps, plus two cheapo 2MP cameras in less important areas. Currently I've got an always-on display for the BI client, and plan on extending that to a second display in another room via an SVGA splitter (Low res, as I'm not concerned with quality on these displays).

After reading through the hardware guide on this site, I think I've got the system I want figured out, I'd just like to get some opinions on here before I pull the trigger.

Dell Optiplex 3020 i5-4590 Quad-core 3.4Ghz
8GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Kingston 120GB A400 SSD (For OS and BI installation)

At first I had planned on going with a 1TB purple drive, but it ends up being cheaper for me to go with the 500gb drive bundled with the machine on Ebay, and buying a separate SSD; and I'm only recording about 60gb/day, so a 500gb drive should get me more than a week of recording anyway.

This setup will cost me about $275 (Canadian)

Does this sound like a decent deal, and properly suited for my setup?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

pmac

n3wb
Reaction score
I've made a slight change and found a better deal on similar hardware; would just like to get opinions still on whether or not you guys think this will suit my needs and is a good deal or not.

- HP ProDesk 400 G1 SFF i5-4590 3.3GHz
- 8 GB RAM
- 500GB HDD
- Kingston 120GB A400 SSD
- Windows 10 Pro

$213.65 (Canadian)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

System Hardware looks ok for BI, I known nothing about the price, But i would upgrade the harddrive before I started adding more cameras

Look at what other systems do

pmac

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the 2nd machine that I posted, and added a 2tb purple drive to help with storage. Hopefully it works out well, I should have it near the beginning of next month and I'll post an update after I've had a chance to try it out for a bit.

pmac

n3wb
Reaction score
So I've had a chance to use this machine for a while, everything seems to be working fairly well! I did however end up having to create a batch file to periodically restart BI due to an intermittent memory leak.

I've tried all of the fixes listed on this site with no luck, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be as bad the past couple of days. Originally if I didn't restart the service daily, it would freeze my system due to low memory; now I've just been restarting the service once every two days.

I do hope this issue is resolved eventually, since it doesn't really seem right having to employ a workaround on a paid software and a brand new (to me) standalone machine.

Aside from that issue, everything has been working great so far, and next I'm thinking about trying out sentry or a similar service (still browsing other options currently).