TP-Link CPE-510 wireless ap problem

jh12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry for my bad English. I have a problem that I have tried to solve for weeks. I have used TP-Link's CPE 510 wifi transmissions (5GHz 300Mbps 13dBi Outdoor CPE - TP-Link) successfully before but now I have a problem. TP-Links support agreed that its almost spooky and couldn't help.
The other CPE 510 (AP) isn't playing nice at the place it is to be installed and used. The strange thing is that it works perfectly when I bring it home and test it here.
It sends wifi signal but testing with iPhone "no internet". Where it is plugged in there is internet ok when trying with cable. The two CPE 510 also find each other norMalloy and lock but no more real data is sent. Also I have difficulties connecting to the device (with Ethernet cable) so to be able to get into admin screen. At home no such problems either. I have changed practically all now, different CPE 510, switches, cables etc. Still not working. There's no ip conflict.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zoidberg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, im also running 2x TP-Link CPE 510, one as AP and the other as Client, they work really bad, i have been trying to connect an IP camera to them and they work really sporadically as you describe. Have been trying different setups. Have got them to work like 2-3times. Bought mine 2weeks ago have also updated them with latest firmware.
My two CPE 510 can also find each other and they lock, but they dont send any data between them.

jh12

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that in my case it was wlan network(s) that interfered. I changed to another frequency and the problems disappeared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I was looking at this as a long range extender to a garage about 500' away clear, unobstructed view. Also looking at ubiquiti.. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with these. Thanks

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran a couple of nano beams to 2 different out buildings. Total run was only about 70'. It's probably overkill seeing as though the nano beams are rated at 13.5km. I have the output power on the radios tuned all the way down. So far, they have been for about a year with no issues. So it's similar to what @TonyR has setup but with a different Ubiquiti product. I think what he has setup would work well for you also. The good news is, you have choices :)

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran a couple of nano beams to 2 different out buildings. Total run was only about 70'. It's probably overkill seeing as though the nano beams are rated at 13.5km. I have the output power on the radios tuned all the way down. So far, they have been for about a year with no issues. So it's similar to what @TonyR has setup but with a different Ubiquiti product. I think what he has setup would work well for you also. The good news is, you have choices :)
I have a straight line of sight for 500' i was thinking I could get away with the one long range poe extender and then grab the signal with a smaller extender and run a cat cable from the receiving extender tone switch and then go from there. Opinions??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a straight line of sight for 500' i was thinking I could get away with the one long range poe extender and then grab the signal with a smaller extender and run a cat cable from the receiving extender tone switch and then go from there. Opinions??
The UBNT setup could be obtained, configured, mounted and running in 2-3 days; the hardwire that distance...likely longer if placed underground.
If lightning is common in your area, 500 ft. of any type metallic cable is asking for a BIG problem....IMO.

Last edited: