Upgrading to a larger switch and replacing a few older cameras. Any advise?

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi I`m going to upgrade to a NetGear 16P POE+ GB Unmanaged switch from an unnamed 8 port one I got from Andy to add a few more cameras.Is there a Wiki page ,or a step by step about this procedure?I`m sure its not as easy as it seems from reading here for years. I couldn`t find any. I was thinking about putting 3 newer models in place of the older ones before adding more,. Can I change the IP of the new camera to the older one after unplugging it and just switch cams? They are not PTZs. Although 2 are the newt 8K dual 4MP color model.I hope someone can point to information or give me an idea how to do this. Seems fairly simple ,but my first time.Have to be careful! Thanks for any comments.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since it is an unmanaged switch it is as easy as you think - just swap them out. The switch isn't handing out IP addresses they are just passing thru.

If you assigned static IP addresses there will be no problem. If you have them dynamic then you may run into issues of the router assigning different IP addresses.

Sure you can make the IP address whatever you want - old cams or new IP - as long as they are on you IP subnet and no duplicates powered, you are good to go.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll give my standard answer when it comes to network switches......

Buy a used enterprise quality device off EBay. You'll send less money than buying a consumer grade devices new and it will be 1000 times better. Not just better quality, but more feature rich as well. Now obviously using an enterprise quality switch can seem daunting to the unitiated, but they can work just like any other unmanaged switch it that is all you need. However if you ever decide to use VLANs or other more advanced networking schemes, your switch will be ready to handle that as well.

Right now I would recommend a Brocade ICX-6450-48P model (available on EBay for less than $120 shipped right now). There is a great resource about these switches (including how to reset them, install the latest firmware, and get them into a basic configuration) on the ServeTheHome forum. Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

PS - I recently bought one of these switches myself and offered $105 from the seller "Dedicated Networks" and it was instantly accepted (the original auction price is $120). You can probably get it for even less money. I don't want to post a link, but you should be able to find that auction pretty easily.

Last edited:

Fishman57

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for your comment. I already purchased the switch,as suggested by Andy as he didn`t have any at the time. I was just asking about transferring the cameras ,and upgrading a few of them to the new switch for expansion.Quite uniformed in this area ,so sometimes you have to be careful of the simple things. I will keep you suggestion in mind for my next switch,or just get one for a spare.. Thanks.