Value & Update Policy for Blue Iris iOS App?

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone know what the update policy is for the app? I'm considering buying, but not sure how much value it adds over UI3 in the browser. It looks like it hasn't been updated in a while either.

Can anyone with both apps comment on the functionality of one over the other?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I purchased the IOS version. UI3 is great but when away the app is able to automatically switch between using the LAN and WAN addresses as required. This and the fact that the app is a simplified viewer which even my wife can use is another reason for using it.

I purchased the app as part of friends and family on IOS so only had to pay £9.99 the once and have it installed in all the families phones.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the iOS app. Well worth the money.

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased the IOS version. UI3 is great but when away the app is able to automatically switch between using the LAN and WAN addresses as required...
So port forwarding at the firewall is required to make the app work?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
So port forwarding at the firewall is required to make the app work?
That is the less secure option. The better options would be to setup a VPN to your network. When you are away from home, you would first VPN into your network and then fire up the app and check the cameras.

More info on VPNs here VPN Primer for Noobs

SteveN1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got the VPN working fine now. It is just that for other less IT savvy folks, like wife and in-laws, starting up a VPN connection and then checking the cameras is almost certainly going to increase the number of 'support calls' I get, if not deter them altogether.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got the VPN working fine now. It is just that for other less IT savvy folks, like wife and in-laws, starting up a VPN connection and then checking the cameras is almost certainly going to increase the number of 'support calls' I get, if not deter them altogether.
It's muscle memory. Once you get them used to it, it becomes second nature. I have my wife using the VPN with no problems but I totally understand where you are coming from.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not exactly true. A few apps, Omnifocus being one of them, require you to pay for upgrades...

But, point taken on the overthinking bit.
Its 100 percent true. They are not able to charge for upgrades. They get around this by selling a "new" app with a number after it, like omnifocus 2, 3 etc...As you can see, there is only one blue iris app by perspective software.