VGA or DVI Input

Scoticus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody knows of an NVR that has one or two DVI or VGA inputs? If not, does anybody know of a DVI/VGA to NVR Ethernet converter? I've googled, but everything has DVI or VGA outputs so that keeps popping up.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody knows of an NVR that has one or two DVI or VGA inputs? If not, does anybody know of a DVI/VGA to NVR Ethernet converter? I've googled, but everything has DVI or VGA outputs so that keeps popping up.
Most Modern Day NVR's do NOT have DVI outputs. Most Consumer based NVR's have 1 VGA and 1 HDMI output. You can go VGA over IP to extend the video signal. You could also go from VGA to DVI. If Needed, they have those out there also.

Link:--->Robot Check

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All

My curiosity is killing me.....what is it you're wanting to achieve by INPUTTING DVI or VGA into a NVR?
Is it to record something that comes up on a PC screen?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
My curiosity is killing me.....what is it you're wanting to achieve by INPUTTING DVI or VGA into a NVR?
Is it to record something that comes up on a PC screen?
LOL, I caught that also, I'm thinking its gatta be a typo on the OP Post.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL, I caught that also, I'm thinking its gatta be a typo on the OP Post.
Me too until at the end he says "....I've googled, but everything has DVI or VGA outputs so that keeps popping up. "
I guess we'll find out when he comes back.

Last edited:

Scoticus

n3wb
Reaction score
TonyR is correct. I wish to have something recorded that is output from a computer. I'd like to be able to play this and the camera back side by side from the same device.

Barboots, I thought of that too, but I'm not familiar with the input standards for the NVR's. Would I need to find one that outputs the IP signal with a specific protocol, and would I just essentially plug it in as another camera?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TonyR is correct. I wish to have something recorded that is output from a computer. I'd like to be able to play this and the camera back side by side from the same device.

Barboots, I thought of that too, but I'm not familiar with the input standards for the NVR's. Would I need to find one that outputs the IP signal with a specific protocol, and would I just essentially plug it in as another camera?
Consider DeskCamera .

They state "Turn a Windows PC into an ONVIF IP Camera....." and ".....It allows to watch and record desktop screen/webcam activities with any VMS/NVR software that supports ONVIF"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
NVRs tend to only accept input in the form of video streams transmitted over ethernet/wifi. The exception to this is hybrid DVR/NVRs which may have BNC connectors for analog cameras.

If you want an NVR to capture VGA, DVI, or HDMI, then you need an external box (about $200).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Consider DeskCamera .

They state "Turn a Windows PC into an ONVIF IP Camera....." and ".....It allows to watch and record desktop screen/webcam activities with any VMS/NVR software that supports ONVIF"
DeskCamera If worked as advertised could be handy at times.