Wall of shame

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Always vacuum / wipe before you just blow that crap into the air. Nobody should be breathing 2" of cat dander, hair, and tobacco tar. I'd be more afraid of bed bugs than roaches, though both suck.
Oh, yeah....I did it outdoors and with a mask on.
Sometimes had to literally scrape tobacco tar off of CPU fan blades, and remove fan to get it out of heat sink fins; blowing wouldn't get it out, it was stuck.

Glad I quit 31 years ago after smoking for 22! :headbang:

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not a bad install but a really messy and creepy extension of an attic with blown in insulation unfortunately that day I took a trip to the Hospital after crawling in there and being attack by two squirrels that i didn't know where in there and falling thru the ceiling to the second floor :) was not a very graceful landing by no means and the injuries received were from those dam attic rats.

The back story tho I got wind of later that night the guy went up there to dealing with the attic rats and ended up firing off a couple rounds with a .40 at them getting them good thing the house was not being lived in yet and being gutted and remodeled

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How come some don't prefer bundling the ethernet cable and running it through a large diameter PVC pipe or conduit?

If the need necessitates (for removing and replacing ethernet cable, one can just make slits through the PVC in order to maneuver around, right?)

Walking into hanging ethernet cable is almost reminiscent of Tarzan getting caught and tangled in a mess of tree vines. :lol:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like an old trailer from an 18 wheeler has been repurposed....and the UV and ozone has taken its toll on 'bucket cam'!

Hey "...it's only temporary" was probably spoken circa 2012 (like I've never done that). :rolleyes:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow Good Idea if you are worried about the wind blowing it off, bet its filled with stone or concrete.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is anal about using flush-cutting nippers for cable ties, and cutting them off as close as possible to make them less lethal!

When I started out doing industrial electronics, most of the cabinets I worked in had their cable ties cut by electricians with the dykes in their trusty Klein lineman's pliers. So they left a quarter inch or so protruding, and razor sharp from the blades on those cutters.

My hands, wrists, and arms got so bloody that I vowed to never use normal dykes to trim cable ties EVER. It's just cruel.

And I second the complaints about using electrical tape to hold a roll of wire together. Just nasty!

The IT guys and I where I used to work decided that the matrix of what we called "pork chop grease and cat hair" was one of the biggest threats to electronic gear. It blocks off cooling fins, screens, and stops fans from turning very well!

Have any of you ever done any work in laboratories? Hydrochloric acid fumes are amazing. It eats copper and really any of the usual conductors and contact materials. A year-old PC can look like it was just recovered from the wreck of the Titanic!

And those acid fumes also do something to drive the plasticizers out of vinyl and other plastics. You end up with a clear ooze the consistency of honey covering every bit of wire and cable. It doesn't wash off of your hands, and heaven knows what it does to you. We always just called it "lab goo".

In the oilfield, you often encounter hydrogen sulfide gas. That eats copper, silver, etc., most efficiently. And gold-plating sucks in an H2S or hydrochloric acid fume environment.

Gold is always plated so thin that it leaves microscopic pores. The gas enters the pores, finds the base metal below, and just eats it away.

I've worked on telemetry RTUs that were easy to troubleshoot because the problem was the ICs whose legs had been completely eaten off, leaving the chips laying all over the bottom of the enclosure. The ICs with tin plated legs were fine, but those with gold-plated leads were the ones that had their legs munched off!

The lesson there is always use tin plated connector pins and sockets, and ICs, and always use tinned stranded wire when building anything for use in a lab or in the oilfield. Stay away from gold or silver plated anything!

Off topic, I know. Just some pet peeves from years of making this stuff work in harsh atmospheres.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like an old trailer from an 18 wheeler has been repurposed....and the UV and ozone has taken its toll on 'bucket cam'!

Hey "...it's only temporary" was probably spoken circa 2012 (like I've never done that). :rolleyes:
Man, The UV in sunlight can wreck a bucket like that in just a few months, can't it? They should have bolted that camera to a nice cinder block to get a more professional result! ;)

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I melt the sharp place at the buckle with a Bic lighter and spin it round and hide the buckle it to make it look neat.
I like that plan! I really really hate getting cut up by cable ties that were cut with normal dykes.

It's always pleasant to think about the rodent whizz and droppings you're probably getting into the open wounds at the same time, too! ;)

I use the full flush cutting dykes like some of the guys showed earlier in the thread. Pressed up flush to the buckle, they leave a smooth finish. I can reach into existing bundles and trim off the nasties left by other folks, too so it'll be safe for the next guy.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man, The UV in sunlight can wreck a bucket like that in just a few months, can't it?
Yes, it can and it will. Mix in a little ozone and some smog (in more metro areas) and you've got a vapor stew that attacks thermoplastic with a vengeance.

That's why it's so important to hide or shelter the camera pigtails and connectors the best you can...as you noted in your post in another thread by drilling the soffit for them or by using a box in the future.

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hahaha, a toolbox. I really wasnt expecting that when I clicked the photo on Mobile

Reaction score
Cement in a plastic tub guy probably needs to be introduced to Toolbox guy.

Is it weird, I see both as extremely functional:
  1. Plastic Tub guy, that setup is temporary enough that if they need to use that trailer they can just pop the tub-of-concrete-or-rocks off the top but they can also position the camera to get a good view, and move it if necessary. Maximum flexibility, minimum cost. Who knows, this could be a 10 acre shipping yard full of semi trailers and no walls to mount cameras. I would have maybe run the cables into the tub, in a waterproof bag or balloon is what we used in RC cars to make the connections, since the cables themselves will suffer damage from being exposed to the UV.
  2. Toolbox guy, that just seems functional on so many levels. Requires no tools to access the wiring, POE injection or any other odd thing they might need to cram into that location. Its a metal box, so reasonably good durability, especially since its painted should reduce rust, and it looks like a factory environment maybe, so they probably had it laying around so it cost them nothing. If you decided to order the "right parts" you might be looking at a $100+ weatherproof box to hold POE splitter/network switch or whatever they have in there, and potentially a waterproof camera mount with top plate, conduit to run between them! You're into $150, this guy probably spent $0, that's another camera.
However, pretty sure I won't get either of these past the wife.

Last edited:

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh I see it as useful, it's just unorthodox.

Aside from visual, I see it as extremely useful. Lol

Reaction score
I cant find the thread where someone has a ton of equipment in an outdoor weatherproof box, but regardless you could fit a ton of stuff in that toolbox if you needed to. No self-respecting camera installer here would ever do it that way, but bonus points for the "Yankee ingenuity".