Wasps

doobam

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody have problems with wasps triggering motion? They don't seem to be nesting in or around my camera but I can get 15 - 30+ videos of nothing but a wasp crawling on the lens. I have a Reolink RLC-411.
thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody have problems with wasps triggering motion? They don't seem to be nesting in or around my camera but I can get 15 - 30+ videos of nothing but a wasp crawling on the lens. I have a Reolink RLC-411.
thanks
That is a common problem with bullet or other cameras that have an ir ring around the lens as opposed to a separate ir emitter.

wodman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah pita things! Get them on both turrets and fisheyes during the day. Ususaaly happens for about a week during the season each year.
The fly wave is worse and comes twice a year and also seems like it lasts a week or so each time.

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Good luck getting close to a hornet's nest or beehive. Its a menace

wodman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Strongest "knock-down" insecticide I know is permethrin, so maybe soaking piece of cloth or dryer sheet and wipe camera with it or wrap around it?

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've the same issue ... wasps flying on my cameras. Besides the obvious, I'm more concerned they'll climb behind the ball and through the hole the wire runs through to the attic. Has anybody else with the wasp issue had this happen? Do they make some kind of grommet to seal the hole or should I just caulk/spray foam the hole?

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've the same issue ... wasps flying on my cameras. Besides the obvious, I'm more concerned they'll climb behind the ball and through the hole the wire runs through to the attic. Has anybody else with the wasp issue had this happen? Do they make some kind of grommet to seal the hole or should I just caulk/spray foam the hole?
I haven't had the problem, but, one look at one of turrets installed, and I perceived the possibility right out of the gate.

Get some of that round, grey foam rubber used for sealing cracks and crevasses, slice some length-wise, and carefully push it into position in that gap, flat side on the ball. Like so:

Make sure to get well into the edges. Those wasps can be persistent.

You'll note I've also sealed-up the smallest of gaps around the base, incl. plugging the cable notch (can't be seen in this photo) with clear silicon caulk. (Painter's/roofer's trick: To use your finger to smooth silicon caulk, wet the finger with a little saliva. The caulk won't stick to your finger.)

Both of these solutions have the advantage of being not messy. The foam rubber gasketing can of course simply be pulled out. That clear silicon caulk just peels right off, leaving little but a light residue, also easily removed, behind.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That is a common problem with bullet or other cameras that have an ir ring around the lens as opposed to a separate ir emitter.
Interesting. Are the wasps attracted to the UV light? I'm wondering is it the ir ring that attracts them?

fwiw, I've had a similar issue but literally only a handful of times on one outdoor cam.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas!!

I’m not seeing much activity now that it’s 40ish degrees here in Wisconsin but I’ve a few motion alerts during the day of the wasps on the front of the camera and even watched a video which looked like it was attacking the camera. Since it’s during the day I suspect it must detect the warmth or be able to hear some electronic frequency ... or perhaps they just investigate.