What is your NVR5208-EI / NVR52XX-XXP-XXX Network Total Bandwidth?

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ps. if you can't find what eats your bandwidth, you can try this:

• default NVR config to factory,
  • disable global AcuPick mode (select AI mode),
  • in this clean configuration You should have 320 Mbps of bandwidth,
  • simply add all cameras without configuring any AI/SMD/IVS/other camera options..
  • you should now have 320 Mbps of TOTAL bandwidth (some used for added cameras)..
  • start of Your AI/SMD/IVS configuration on NVR checking every time do you have 320 Mbps of bandwidth.. You should very easy find what operation / configuration change eats Your bandwidth..
Ok I didn't do any of those EXCEPT the second one. I ticked 'AI Mode' and those options you mentioned earlier (AI by Recorder and AI by Camera) opened up. I proceeded to click on those IVS light bulbs for the two channels I had on IVS previously under 'AcuPick' and enabled all the check boxes for the tripwires and intrusions and chose 'AI by Camera' and....VOILA!!!!

Yep I know this will not come as a surprise to you -- Remaining Bandwidth / Total Bandwidth came out 404 Mbps / 420 Mbps. Glitch?

When I get the chance, I'll try all the steps you listed above, this time maybe the numbers will come out more in line with 384.

At this point I don't know how to thank you but you made things interesting again. :p

Last edited:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok I didn't do any of those EXCEPT the second one. I ticked 'AI Mode' and those options you mentioned earlier (AI by Recorder and AI by Camera) opened up. I proceeded to click on those IVS light bulbs for the two channels I had on IVS previously under 'AcuPick' and enabled all the check boxes for the tripwires and intrusions and chose 'AI by Camera' and....VOILA!!!!
Heh, in my first post I wrote You: Disable AcuPick :)

Yep I know this will not come as a surprise to you -- Remaining Bandwidth / Total Bandwidth came out 404 Mbps / 420 Mbps. Glitch?

When I get the chance, I'll try all the steps you listed above, this time maybe the numbers will come out more in line with 384.

At this point I don't know how to thank you but you made things interesting again. :p
No, that correct... In newer firmware updates they increased total bandwidth to 420 MBps...

Before 5xxx-EI understanding for people how to configure classic AI functions (SMD, IVS etc) where to run (camera, NVR) and how this selection use resources/limits on cam&NVR was very hard.. With AcuPick which was added as something separate to AI functions and in default configuration enabled (even without AcuPick cams) this is nightmare for beginners.

Reactions: Tic

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree.
I also don’t think AcuPic is very useful for the average home system and that 90%+ of users are better off running AI on the camera using the older (now EOL) “Pro Series”. They could have easily updated FW on that series to current security and feature standards and left the EI series as a separate upgrade for those who actually need it.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also don’t think AcuPic is very useful for the average home system and that 90%+ of users are better off running AI on the camera using the older (now EOL) “Pro Series”. They could have easily updated FW on that series to current security and feature standards and left the EI series as a separate upgrade for those who actually need it.
AcuPick is nice when many of Your cams register lots on non-residents (like People on the street / entrance etc).

I have house on corner with 2 streets and very low fence (local regulations). House have most modern architecture on the street - so I have lots of spectators, who simply goes around house/fence to look at it. AcuPick allows me in one click to show video recordings of the same spectators from many cameras around house.

5xxx-EI is huge upgrade to 5xxx-4ks2 in processing power. 5xxx-4ks2 was from around 2017, a think 2 years before 5.0 Web NVR UI change and AI UI revolution..

5xxx-EI have 2x decoding power (32 vs 16 1080p30 streams), higher network bandwidth (420 vs 320 Mbps), it supports ENCRYPTED transmission over Dahua private protocols with cams or clients (4ks2 don't have power for that, everything is unencrypted) and extra AI processor when You have dumb devices (old cameras, intercoms) or want to add extra AI functions to what cams have (Face Detection, AcuPick).

5xxx-EI replaced 5xxx-4KS2 for almost the same price.
The only minus on 5xxx-EI is that You should disable AcuPick if You want full bandwidth or local AI functionality. They should put big sticker on package about this :)

5xxx-4KS is deprecated and latest firmware is from 2022 on security baseline 2.2. Dahua in 2023 and 2024 a few times upgraded security baseline (now 2.4), which included fixes for many vulnerabilities...

I use Dahua NVR's a lot (in different places) - and learn two thing:
  • always buy 2x bigger / more powerful NVR as You think that You need,
  • always buy a newest and most supported model - You will connect (using web/lcoal interface or apps) with NVR for many years...

Usually cams don't receive a new features in firmware upgrade. NVR have - Dahua many times in last years added features to existing last generation NVR's..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Again agree, especially the processing power. I’m just saying for the avg home install, we’re adding complexity that the vast majority will never use.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heh, in my first post I wrote You: Disable AcuPick :)
The big misconception (on my part) was ‘AI Mode‘ was the same as ‘AI by Recorder’ and when ticked would instantly ramp up CPU and bandwidth usage and I did not want that because I wanted all these AI stuff done on the camera, hence the hesitation. Worse, the words disable and global threw me off and just added more confusion to the mix.

Again, huge thanks to you I have learned that ‘AI Mode‘ is just a pathway to another window with its own set of options and menus and does not readily translate to AI by Recorder.

Now my question is, what is the difference between using Smart Plan/IVS on the camera in AcuPick Mode and in AI Mode? I have used both now and I cannot tell any difference apart from bandwidth usage…maybe you can.

EDIT: I exaggerated a bit In the second paragraph. By ticking (thus enabling) ‘AI Mode’‘, a pulldown menu will appear beside the channel/camera box that lets you choose “AI by Camera“ or “AI by Recorder“. The latter will appear as the only option if the channel/camera does not have the intended AI feature built into it (e.g. IVS, SMD, erc.).

Last edited:

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now my question is, what is the difference between using Smart Plan/IVS on the camera in AcuPick Mode and in AI Mode? I have used both now and I cannot tell any difference apart from bandwidth usage…maybe you can.
AcuPick is a separate AI function which works on newest 5xxx-S3 cams and 5xxx-EI / 5xxx-XI / 6xx-XI NVR's.

It allows to select any person / vehicle on recording, click on AcuPick icon and recorder will display You all recordings of similar looking persons (vehicles) from all Yours cams recordings (of course only from cams which support this function).

Originally this function worked only over local (HDMI + mouse) NVR interface. In latest NVR firmwares there is limited support for this function in web interface.

When You enable global AcuPick mode recorder, it will disable other local NVR AI functionality (only 5xxx-EI models) and limit bandwidth on NVR.
When You enable per chanel / camera in Smart Plan AcuPick mode, it preselect IVS in camera Smart Plan and disables possibility to select other AI functions (done on cams).

There is no difference how IVS works on cam with or without AcuPick..
When You enable AcuPick on cam simply you have 2 AI functions (IVS + AcuPick), which works in parallel.
IVS processing is fully done on cam, half of processing for AcuPick (detecting / extracting people/vehicle images) is done on cam, half (analyzing how they look and storing in database) on NVR..

Reactions: Tic

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AcuPick is a separate AI function which works on newest 5xxx-S3 cams and 5xxx-EI / 5xxx-XI / 6xx-XI NVR's.

It allows to select any person / vehicle on recording, click on AcuPick icon and recorder will display You all recordings of similar looking persons (vehicles) from all Yours cams recordings (of course only from cams which support this function).

Originally this function worked only over local (HDMI + mouse) NVR interface. In latest NVR firmwares there is limited support for this function in web interface.

When You enable global AcuPick mode recorder, it will disable other local NVR AI functionality (only 5xxx-EI models) and limit bandwidth on NVR.
When You enable per chanel / camera in Smart Plan AcuPick mode, it preselect IVS in camera Smart Plan and disables possibility to select other AI functions (done on cams).

There is no difference how IVS works on cam with or without AcuPick..
When You enable AcuPick on cam simply you have 2 AI functions (IVS + AcuPick), which works in parallel.
IVS processing is fully done on cam, half of processing for AcuPick (detecting / extracting people/vehicle images) is done on cam, half (analyzing how they look and storing in database) on NVR..
No wonder it’s a resource hog. Apart from bandwidth loss, I have noticed the NVR CPU temperature was about a couple degrees warmer than in AI Mode. Boy, I’m just glad I made the switch! Thanks again, Steve.