What's a better replacement camera for this

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the Amcrest IP3M-956W and was wondering if there is something better as a replacement. Has to be similar style: dome, and wifi capable. Money is not a huge factor. Looking for something with more reliable software, preferably better hardware, better image quality at night if possible. It's my front door camera so looking for something good.

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're preferring a dome, a Dahua Starlight model is your best bet. Here's one from @EMPIRETECANDY on Amazon:

Unfortunately wifi is not one of the features. We typically advise strongly against using wireless if possible. It's just not reliable enough.
What do you mean not reliable enough? I do prefer at this time some kind of wifi dome camera for outdoors. Do you have any other suggestions that is better than what I have?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Sequoia1321

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wifi is subject to drop-outs, interference, and intentional jamming. Not advised for a 'security' camera.
Well, I think some of these wifi cameras, mine included, can be used wired as well, so it's an option I have available in the future.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has to be similar style: dome, and wifi capable.
The WiFi capable part is going to limit your selection.

The most popular cameras used by folks here are the low-light models from Dahua/Hikvision. Those companies are pro-grade companies that don't work directly with consumers; their business model is to sell to distributors that sell to an authorized network of resellers who come and professionally install these cameras for consumers. These companies make very few WiFi models, and the sensor technology found in their best/most affordable low-light cameras isn't usually found in cameras from consumer-grade companies like Lorex, Amcrest, Ring, Arlo, etc.

If you can get an ethernet cable out to your front porch, there are a bunch of relatively new cameras that should significantly outperform your current model. This is probably the one model getting the most interest:
Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

I haven't seen any WiFi variants of this camera though.