Will airMAX NanoStation M5 work with airMAX NanoStation M5 loco?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a sytem already setup with the M5 and need to add another antena but the place where I will be mounting the unit is only abot 100ft away from the reciever so M5 would be overkill.
Will airMAX NanoStation M5 loco work with airMAX NanoStation M5?

Also, I'm assuming I will still need the POE adapter so does anyone know of a good place to buy the
Ubiquiti INS-3AF-O-G Outdoor Gigabit Adapter

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the entire airMax M5 lineup is compatible with each other.

I believe they all came with PoE adapters, but if you need another, they are cheap. Do note they require passive 24v PoE, not standard 802.3af. I believe NanoStation loco models came with 12 watt non-gigabit adapters (this one is equivalent).

They accept quite a wide range of lower voltages actually. My dad ran a pair of them directly off a 12v battery for a number of years, but that required modifying a network cable to connect the appropriate wire pairs to the battery.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, the entire airMax M5 lineup is compatible with each other.

I believe they all came with PoE adapters, but if you need another, they are cheap. Do note they require passive 24v PoE, not standard 802.3af. I believe NanoStation loco models came with 12 watt non-gigabit adapters (this one is equivalent).
Thanks for the confirmation BP2008

As for the adapter. I need an outdoor rated, passive to 802.3af so that I can plug it into a POE switch. The one I used on the other half of the system ( INS-3AF-0-G) is out of stock everywhere..

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a heads up iof anyone is looking. They are back in stock.

Crazy but your link is out of stock, this one is not, both in the same store, AFAIK! :wtf:
EDIT: They actually have different part numbers and appear dissimilar, what the heck is the electrical/electronic difference?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Crazy but your link is out of stock, this one is not, both in the same store, AFAIK! :wtf:
EDIT: They actually have different part numbers and appear dissimilar, what the heck is the electrical/electronic difference?
Wow they sold out quick!

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I thought maybe the new one had had added surge protection but per the spec sheet it states that they both do.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone know the name of the ubiquiti discovery tool? I cant seem to find it now

kd5mdk

n3wb
Reaction score
From the specs:
INS-8023AF-O takes in 48V and puts out 18V, .7A it is 300g and does not mention Gigabit anywhere.
INS-3AF-O-G takes in 48V and puts out 24V, .5A passive PoE, it is 90g and does specify Gigabit.
Those seem like pretty clear differences to me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the specs:
INS-8023AF-O takes in 48V and puts out 18V, .7A it is 300g and does not mention Gigabit anywhere.
INS-3AF-O-G takes in 48V and puts out 24V, .5A passive PoE, it is 90g and does specify Gigabit.
Those seem like pretty clear differences to me.
Thanks for the clarity, the biggest difference being, IMO, is that the INS-3AF-O-G is gigabit.