Yet another Dahua email setup challange

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have read many posts here about how to set up email when working with GMail. I think I have the settings correct. I have setup GMail for less secure passwords and have the 16 digit password. I can ping smtp.gmail.com and get a good return. Still, I get the "Fail" message when testing it. I have tried it from the NVR, and directly from the cameras, all with the same result.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on what to try next?

EmailSettings.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @alastairstevenson, I just tried 587 and still get the "Fail" response.
Depending on the firmware versions you have - a Dahua bug was exposed earlier in the year after Google activated TLS1.3
Firmware updates were issued to fix the problem.
Check out this thread : email notify

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With port 465 and TLS it takes 10 seconds to return the fail. Using 465 and SSL it is back in 1 second. With port 587 either TLS or SSL only take about 1 second. Testing is is being done on a new B5442E-Z4E I got from Andy this week, so the firmware should be up to date. 2.800.0000000.6.R, Build Date: 2019-08-01 I am still reading the email notify thread.

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[B]alastairstevenson[/B] reply about email notify got me to thinking about another email account I have but never use, on comcast.net I setup my smtp(email) page using the comcast.net account with port 587 and TLS, and it succeeded! Changed it back to GMail account information and it failed again. It could still be a firmware problem, but the problem follows the GMail account. I do not have the skills that alastairstevenson has, to trace this down further, but at least I now have a work around. My thanks to all who helped get this 6 month old problem solved. Gary A

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried putting in just garycaa in the username box, omitting the @gmail.com part to see if that works?

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just tried it both ways, and it fails if going to the GMail server. Changing to the Comcast server and it still works regardless of user name. Something about the Dahua firmware and GMail server just does not match.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Something about the Dahua firmware and GMail server just does not match.
I don't support you have the ability to capture the network traffic from the camera when the test button is pressed?
You'd need a port mirroring / replication facility to grab the traffic.

GaryCAa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alistair, You are right I do not have that ability. I simply changed the settings on the camera email page and pressed the test button. With GMail settings it Fails, with Comcast settings I get Success.

UmDaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm also having the same problem!
IPC-B5442E-ZE
2.800.0000000.0.R 2019-05-21

Gmail notifications work on my NVR which is a LAView (Re-branded Hikvision). But on my camera it just FAILS. I have it setup with the same settings as my NVR. :( I hope this can get fixed.

I have read many posts here about how to set up email when working with GMail. I think I have the settings correct. I have setup GMail for less secure passwords and have the 16 digit password. I can ping smtp.gmail.com and get a good return. Still, I get the "Fail" message when testing it. I have tried it from the NVR, and directly from the cameras, all with the same result.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on what to try next?

dinsey

n3wb
Reaction score
Just purchased new nvr from Andy, gmail didn't work,I just used another, live.co.uk worked no problems. To think I wasted time with trying to set up gmail.

immageek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Same issue here with my 5231s. I only use GMail so this kinda sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure on setting it on the camera but on the NVR it seems fine.
etest.jpg

UmDaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is connected to the POE port on the NVR. Now you have me thinking, as on my local network, I cannot connect directly to the camera unless I connect to one of the Ethernet ports on the NVR, or by connecting to the camera via the NVR IP, and a port number such as 65004.

Is there any advanced configuration's on these NVR's to allow the email to pass through from the POE cameras?

Is the camera connected to the LAN, or to an NVR PoE port?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot connect directly to the camera unless I connect to one of the Ethernet ports on the NVR, or by connecting to the camera via the NVR IP, and a port number such as 65004
Yes, so the converse is that the NVR PoE-connected cameras cannot connect to the LAN, or to the internet to send email.

On a Hikvision NVR - and yours may be a Hikvision OEM model, though it may have less functional firmware, this is needed to allow such cameras to access the outside world - 3 requirements to make this happen :
In this example, I'm assuming the Hikvision default NVR PoE interface ('Internal NIC' in the VGA/HDMI interface) IP address is 192.168.254.1 Adjust yours to suit.

Enable the NVR 'Virtual Host', which you probably already have done.
Change the channel mode from Plug&Play to Manual, to prevent the NVR from re-configuring the camera network settings, then access the camera web GUI via Virtual Host and change the camera default gateway IP address to 192.168.254.1 It's likely to be initially set the same as the NVR default gateway.
In your LAN router/gateway, add a static route along the lines of :
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use <IP_address_of_NVR_LAN_interface> as the gateway"

Test the result by :
ping <camera_actual_IP_address>
If that's OK, access <camera_actual_IP_address> with the PC browser.
Then use the Test button in the camera web GUI to check the ability to send email, or to access an NTP server.
This assumes the camera DNS settings are valid, usually your LAN router/Gateway.

UmDaMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, so the converse is that the NVR PoE-connected cameras cannot connect to the LAN, or to the internet to send email.

On a Hikvision NVR - and yours may be a Hikvision OEM model, though it may have less functional firmware, this is needed to allow such cameras to access the outside world - 3 requirements to make this happen :
In this example, I'm assuming the Hikvision default NVR PoE interface ('Internal NIC' in the VGA/HDMI interface) IP address is 192.168.254.1 Adjust yours to suit.

Enable the NVR 'Virtual Host', which you probably already have done.
Change the channel mode from Plug&Play to Manual, to prevent the NVR from re-configuring the camera network settings, then access the camera web GUI via Virtual Host and change the camera default gateway IP address to 192.168.254.1 It's likely to be initially set the same as the NVR default gateway.
In your LAN router/gateway, add a static route along the lines of :
"For network 192.168.254.0/24 (ie subnet mask 255.255.255.0) use <IP_address_of_NVR_LAN_interface> as the gateway"

Test the result by :
ping <camera_actual_IP_address>
If that's OK, access <camera_actual_IP_address> with the PC browser.
Then use the Test button in the camera web GUI to check the ability to send email, or to access an NTP server.
This assumes the camera DNS settings are valid, usually your LAN router/Gateway.

Excellent! I will try this tonight. I'm sure this will solve the problem. it's all making sense now. I'm sure this is the problem for many people who want their cameras to do some notifications vs the NVR.

dinsey

n3wb
Reaction score
i goofed up on mine, just checked the top email should not be the same as below which is the receiver.

i had gmail on my top and also under the receiver,
changed the top to live.co.uk with the correct details but changed the receiver to gmail.com address and it works a treat.