1 Cam up, proposed layout, open to suggestions.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
IPC13.20170502_202833.jpg 10 cam.jpg 10 cam.jpg So, my varifocals have shipped and should arrive end of week. Cat5 ran to both attics, (high ceiling between east west sides of house). Covered porch front center, couple nooks and a bump out to deal with. Total of six 3.6mm 4231 starlights ( I like the overview, and watching grass grow, kids, etc..)! As well as four 5231 varifocals. I may need one more cam to get good ID at the door. Even with IPVM calculator, this is a bit tough to picture. On the sides of the house, I do not want to see a bunch of the neighbors houses and or yards so I'm thinking about varifocals there or maybe the 3.6mm in corridor mode?? Concerned about IR reflection off of walls. Cameras will be mounted under eves at approximately 10 feet off the ground, yes, I know, 8 feet is ideal but not going to work here. Attached a view from the first starlight just put up the other day, need to fine tune it. Thoughts?

goodolick

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you are on a good track. A lot of people say all cameras should see other cameras, but, for me, its just not practical. The aim for my house was the same as yours, 100% coverage. I would have had to have at least 7 more cams to have them watching each other.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I'm hoping someone with good experience can comment on this proposed install location you can see that I will be mounting to the eve. Concerned about IR reflection off wall.

20170503_073936.jpg

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If you aim the camera out from the wall and down from the eve you will get little to no reflection. If you try to aim it close to parallel to a surface in front of a camera then you will get reflection and/or parts of brightly lit building in the field of view which will also screw things up. How close to parallel you can get will be a process of trial and error. 45 degrees should be fine, 10° won't.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I've realized the cameras pretty much WILL go in the locations under the eves (they're not going anywhere else) and I will tune them accordingly. I now have all my cable ran, 20 runs, almost 2000 feet. Half for cameras now, some for whatever (maybe POE lighting) in the future. Basically didn't want to run cable at this house anymore! I hope to post photos in the near future!

This forum is great, thanks to all that contribute!