1 of 5 cameras with video messed up, only in Blue Iris

Mark Frank

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm a brand new Blue Iris user. I've got (5) identical QCAM IP3M952E cameras configured. 4 of the 5 are displaying video fine. The 5th camera has totally corrupted video to the point it's unwatchable. The weird thing is that if I connect to the camera outside of BI through a web browser, the video displays fine. I've checked settings a few times and I'm pretty sure that everything is configured the same for all 5 cameras.

The one and only thing I have noticed so far is that on the problematic camera, the Max Frame Rate setting is different. I've tried setting it to 15 to match the other cameras, but it doesn't seem to "stick". Every time I pull up Camera Properties, it shows a different number there, usually between 31-60fps. I logged into the camera from a web browser and the max frame rate is set to 15fps there, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Any ideas on what I could check?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a brand new Blue Iris user. I've got (5) identical QCAM IP3M952E cameras configured. 4 of the 5 are displaying video fine. The 5th camera has totally corrupted video to the point it's unwatchable. The weird thing is that if I connect to the camera outside of BI through a web browser, the video displays fine. I've checked settings a few times and I'm pretty sure that everything is configured the same for all 5 cameras.

The one and only thing I have noticed so far is that on the problematic camera, the Max Frame Rate setting is different. I've tried setting it to 15 to match the other cameras, but it doesn't seem to "stick". Every time I pull up Camera Properties, it shows a different number there, usually between 31-60fps. I logged into the camera from a web browser and the max frame rate is set to 15fps there, so I'm not sure what's going on.

You said "I've checked settings a few times and I'm pretty sure that everything is configured the same for all 5 cameras."
Do you mean you've logged into all 5 via a web browser and they are all configured the same?
Insure 'Frame Interval' is also set for 15.

Was there ever a time when all 5 worked OK then suddenly the one began acting up?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

max frame rate is NOT adjustable...it auto adjusts...
try deleting the camera in BI then add it back...
it could be a bad cable or cam and you are dropping packets...perform a long ping test and see...also try using a short premade cable for testing...
the web interface uses different protocols so it may not suffer the same issue

Mark Frank

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. Things I've tried since posting that haven't worked:
  • Deleted the camera from BI and re-added it, using the copy from an existing camera and just changing the IP.
  • Went into the web interface of the camera and reset to default settings
  • Verified that the frame rate of the bad camera is set to 15fps in the web interface (there is no "frame interval" setting BTW)
  • Moved the cable to a different port on my POE switch
I am definitely starting to suspect that the camera is messed up somehow. If I go into BI Status, Cameras, my 4 working cameras all show 15fps, but the bad one shows 60fps, despite the fact that it's set to 15fps in the web interface. I also attempted to update the QCAM firmware because I noticed the faulty camera has a slightly different firmware listed. Of course the upgrade failed and there are others on the Amcrest forums complaining about the same thing. I may just replace the camera entirely and be done with it. My original cams were part of a QCAM NVR bundle and the NVR totally sucked, eventually dying, hence my migration to BI.

What cameras are folks on these forums recommending these day to use with BI? My other cams are 3MP and this particular cam will be pointing down from my roof to watch my driveway and mailbox.

Mark Frank

n3wb
Reaction score
Now I'm even more convinced it's an issue with the camera or at least the installed firmware. I was doing some Googling and found this:
QCAM IP3M952E - Bensoftware Forum

Different software, but EXACT same issue I'm seeing where the top 1/4 or so of the image is mostly clear and the rest is totally screwed up. No resolution there either.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What cameras are folks on these forums recommending these day to use with BI? My other cams are 3MP and this particular cam will be pointing down from my roof to watch my driveway and mailbox.
see the dahua starlight turret threads....exceptional night vision...100 for fixed 170 for varifocal.