100 cpu usage when viewing clips

Reaction score
I have the following setup:
a dell 2950 server with dual quad core cpu (E5420)
16 gb ram
500 gb WD black HD
remote access via teamviewer
version: 4.0.1.14 (full version) x64 bit
live preview limited to 5 fps

Blue iris config:
(4) 3 mp cameras at 15 fps
(2) foscam 9805w at 960p at 20 fps
(1) foscam 8905w mpeg vga at 10fps
all cameras set with:
prebuffer: 30
continuous direct to disk recording in BVR format
split clips by 4 gb or 7 hours whichever comes first

My cpu usage is typically between 40 and 70 percent with ram usage hovering around 4.5gb

My problem is when i try to view a clip of a single camera the rig immediately goes unresponsive and cpu shoots up to 100%. Even after pressing the stoplight button and having all camera recording stop i still get 100 utilization and unusable playback.

perhaps this is a video card issue? such as not enough video ram? I'm at a loss right now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It does sound odd that CPU usage would jump so high just for playing a clip. How are you viewing the clip? In the Blue Iris program, or a mobile app, or in a web browser?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe there is something to do with the huge size of your clips? Try making a short clip (less than one minute) and see if it plays okay?

Or maybe your player got stuck in some really fast playback mode that tries to decode the video faster than your CPU can handle?

You could try viewing a recording using the web interface and see if that makes CPU hit 100% too. Might help narrow down the problem.

Reaction score
I will try setting a smaller clip size (those were the default settings), I have tried pausing the playback (cpu goes back down) then clicking play once and I still get the same result (100% cpu). the clips play fine in the web viewer, with the exception that if I click through them too quickly the whole program crashes and has to be manually restarted.

Reaction score
I tried the smaller clip size. No difference. I can export the clips into mp4 and they will play fine, but still cant watch the clips in blue iris.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using the onboard video card? I noticed a big difference when I upgraded to a better graphics card several years ago from a lower end version. A better graphics card will all you to offload some of the video cpu cycles from the cpu. It is recommended by BI to not use onboard graphics when possible.

Reaction score
I initially was using the integrated ATI chip on the motherboard with 16 MB video ram. I put a ATI x1300 in there with 256 mb video ram. I am not quite sure which video card blue iris is actually using as the vga output works on both the integrated graphics as well as the x1300 card.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turn off the onboard, should be a setting in the bios.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does Blue Iris use the video card for?
If I primarily view the video remotely via the web interface could I use the onboard video or should I use something better?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What does Blue Iris use the video card for?
If I primarily view the video remotely via the web interface could I use the onboard video or should I use something better?
What type of integrated video do you have? modern intel hd graphics are more than enough for blue iris whether local or remote..

Reaction score
In my situation I have a old ati integrated chip from 2005. It did not have enough Video ram (32mb). I couldn't disable it in the bios (Dell doesn't allow this) but i put in a compatible card and set it as primary and that fixed my problems.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In my situation I have a old ati integrated chip from 2005. It did not have enough Video ram (32mb). I couldn't disable it in the bios (Dell doesn't allow this) but i put in a compatible card and set it as primary and that fixed my problems.
Yeah, those were terrible...

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What type of integrated video do you have? modern intel hd graphics are more than enough for blue iris whether local or remote..
I am using an I7 2600K with the integrated HD 3000 GPU right now. I have a fanless Nvidia 430 I can throw in if it will make a difference.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using an I7 2600K with the integrated HD 3000 GPU right now. I have a fanless Nvidia 430 I can throw in if it will make a difference.
Its unlikely that you will notice any difference but for the extra power consumption...you can always try it and see..but you would need a noticeable improvement to make it worthwhile

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
check your windows power profiles, put it on max performance and see if still you have an issue. (or put your min process state to 100% on your current profile)