1000 yd hit with a 9mm revolver!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow... this is something else...

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If he did do it, what's the point? No one else is going to do it. And why would anyone want to?

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why do mountain climbers climb mountains? Why does a free diver dive to a 200ft depth? Why does a tightrope walker walk between the old World Trade Center towers? Because they can.?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it wasn't a faked, the real question is how many times did he miss?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's .22LR for me...I can't afford to shoot .308 anymore. That shit is expensive.

Reactions: SLC

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not fake, Jerry is a freakin beast with a gun. He can do a reload faster with a revolver then most can do with a semi-auto.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't believe a word of it. There's virtually no elevation on the pistol.

Run the ballistics through Gun Data, and you'll find that at 1,000yds the bullet drop is 2,900 inches (!) or in other words approaching 250 feet (!!!)

Ballistic Calculator GunData.org

(Use advanced to set 1,000 yds - calibre is 9mm Luger (Parabellum)

There's no way that pistol looks as if it's aimed at 250 feet above the target!

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's physics Sheldon. Range of a Handgun Bullet - The Physics Factbook :)
"a 9 mm 120 grain bullet fired out of an average sized handgun at 45 degrees elevation will travel about 2300 meters before falling"
Close to the end of the video he did say the drop was about 150 ft at that distance. Bullet weight and velocity would account for bullet drop differences. And yes, He was pumping S&W at the end too.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It's very real. Jerry is one of the best pistol shooters on the planet, maybe top 2-3 of all time. I've seen him at a 3 gun match and he's quite famous in firearm circles.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It's physics Sheldon. Range of a Handgun Bullet - The Physics Factbook :)
"a 9 mm 120 grain bullet fired out of an average sized handgun at 45 degrees elevation will travel about 2300 meters before falling"
Close to the end of the video he did say the drop was about 150 ft at that distance. Bullet weight and velocity would account for bullet drop differences. And yes, He was pumping S&W at the end too.
Well it was definitely more drop than he thought though and more elevation than what appears to be the case in the video. Gun Data doesn't lie:

Specifically for Hornady, 147gr XTP Ammo:

upload and resize image site

Terrific shot though.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well it was definitely more drop than he thought though and more elevation than what appears to be the case in the video. Gun Data doesn't lie:

Specifically for Hornady, 147gr XTP Ammo:

Terrific shot though.
Well if we do a little trig, arctan(234'/3000')=4.46 degrees so the angle of the gun wouldn't be that steep.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well if we do a little trig, arctan(234'/3000')=4.46 degrees so the angle of the gun wouldn't be that steep.
It's worth pointing out, numbers like this show just how dangerous it can be for people to shoot without a good backstop or angled a bit upwards. Don't be that asshole neighbor who shoots towards their neighbors house 400yds away with an assault rile (nothing to do with this video).

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I actually had that happen, I believe. I live in a rural area on 5 acres. My neighbor was concerned about coyotes taking his chickens. One day he asked me if I would mind if he shot the coyotes with his 22lr. I said " are you nuts?". He assured me that he and his buddies do it all the time in the dessert and it is fine. I explained to him that we are in L.A. County and you will be prosecuted and may lose all your firearms for this viiolation. Also there is a market 10 minutes down the road where you can buy eggs and chicken. Didn't go over well.

About a month later I notice a lot of puss eminating from a hole on my 32 year old Quarter horse. Bring the Vet out and the site is rear hind quarters flank so a lot of meat. He digs for a while but forceps aren't that long and doesn't find a bullet. Although he is confirming it is consistent with a 22lr hole. I doctored that old horse for quite a while and he recovered. Confronted ass hole neighbor who denied and later said he had seen "kids" with a pellet gun. Trajectory of where old horse lived was in line with ass-hole's house to chicken coup.

A lot of dip shits who live around me think they are Quigley Down Under and it is cool to shoot coyotes. I am a life member of the NRA and a long time shooter. Please understand how far a bullet can go and don't shoot for stupid reasons.