1080 vs 1520 resolution

Dinnabeh

n3wb
Reaction score
I need an advise on setting up the resolutions on my cameras.
I have 4 MB POE cameras and all HD with Blue Iris running to record Disk to Disk.
I have them now setup on the highest resolution (2688*1520), when I play the recorded video and zoom on the face as an example. it's so pixelated and can't recognize the face.
Do you think lowering the resolution to 1080 or even 720 would help resolving the issue?
I know the higher resolution is the better for that matter, but correct me if I am wrong.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You are right, higher resolution is better for zooming in to see detail. Lowering the resolution will not help.

Post a screenshot of your camera's encoding settings.

Also make sure Blue Iris is set to record the cameras using "direct to disc", otherwise the stream is re-encoded and quality gets worse.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
It might help to know what camera/lens is being used and at what distance you are trying to recognize a face at. Look in the WiKI at the top of the page and read the "Cliff Notes". Lots of excellent information regarding lens versus distance for facial recognition. Remember, too, that when you zoom in you are digitally enlarging the pixels themselves. Too few and pixelation will spoil everything.