12 volt power supply

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 12 volt power supply to send power to several IR LEDs and two microphones. I'd like to mount a unit in my basement and use Cat6 cable to send power to the lights and microphones. Not looking for a wall wart. Would like something with screw terminals that could handle some future expansion as well.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DG99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 12 volt power supply to send power to several IR LEDs and two microphones. I'd like to mount a unit in my basement and use Cat6 cable to send power to the lights and microphones. Not looking for a wall wart. Would like something with screw terminals that could handle some future expansion as well.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Have used this type of box before, 4 to 18 ports.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd like to mount a unit in my basement and use Cat6 cable to send power to the lights and microphones.
Don't recommend using CAT cable for power, especially if long runs (basement -> wherever).
Go with 24g, 22g, or 20g 2 conductor - size based on distance & load. Can also use a multi conductor cable from the PS to a J-box, then breakout as needed to the IR & mic locations.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the link DG99. I went with the 9 port.

The mics are located at bird feeders eight feet apart. I used 24 gauge direct burial cat5e from a ptz camera to a junction box buried between the feeders. Then from the junction box up to the feeders located on poles about 6 feet high. (about 30 to 40 feet total) I felt the ethernet would be a good choice because it's direct burial, gel filled and about 20 feet is buried. Also used two of the conductors for data feed back to the camera input. Figured the eight conductors would be more than enough.

Wondering now if I should have used something different? The current draw of these mics must be minimal? Havent wired the lights yet. Any suggestions on a better method would be welcomed!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I use 16-2 or 18-2 CMR rated cable in the house. I'd guess you could find some that is direct burial as well. Alternately, if you use two pairs for positive and two pairs for negative the voltage drop, current capability, should be OK up to 100 feet or more depending on the load. Figure 500ma for the average 7 watt IR illuminator.

Last edited:

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope all of you are well. I want to get a few 12v DC 2 or 3 amp adaptors/adapters to connect to individual cameras. I have electricity (110v AC) near each of the cameras.

Is there a good brand/model you recommend?

There are so many options on Amazon, mostly very cheap units for about $5-10 an adaptor/adapter.

Thank you

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Better IMO to use POE with a splitter at the camera. Only 25% of the current needs to be carried over the cat cable, and a big reduction in resistive power loss. I realize that the horse has probably left the barn for the OP.

scotner

n3wb
Reaction score
This appears to be the same power supply that DG99 mentioned but without the box, fuses and terminals. I have used several of these in my alarm system and for LED lighting in my gun safe. Ten bucks shipped.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

camerafool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use heavy landscape lighting copper conductor for 12volt runs. For power supply Meanwell makes a myriad of solutions. Note that low landscape lighting kit transformers output A/C to filament bulbs. You want D/C. Look for LED waterproof one of suitable wattage.