120V PIR + Relay for camera alarm input.

jbond007m3

n3wb
Reaction score
Im pretty technically experimental, as well as being cheap. I get a lot of false recordings from shadows so I started tooling at good range outdoor PIR sensors.

Ones designed for cameras that also boast good range and environmental protection tend to be upwards of $70ish+.

Whereas the run of the mill outdoor good range PIR's for outdoor lights sell for about $35ish at box stores. Couple that with a $5 120V relay and baam you have a open/close circuit operated by IR detection.

Has anyone done this, or anyone find a flaw in what I am thinking about attempting?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't over complicate it just become better at finding deals :)

The 120V models for floodlights will false a lot more than those designed for security. The best sensors have 2 PIR sensors tha both have to trip or 1-2 PIR and a microwave/radar based detectors that all have to trip. Also many of the 120V ones aren't temperature compensated. Most importantly, many of the 120V sensors are designed to functional ONLY with a minimum load, if you don't load it with 40+ watts many will cycle on and off and burn themselves up within a few months!

ebay is usually the cheapest source.
I routinely plug the DSC LC-151 largely because you can get it pretty cheap: TYCO SAFETY PRODUCTS DSC LC151 OUTDOOR DETECT.DUAL TECH SIN PIR | eBay
I haven't used it but there's a paradox model that's very cheap it's lower quality but <$30 (search ebay "outdoor dual pir"): WaterProof Outdoor Digital Motion Dual PIR Detector & Pet Immunity IP45 DS | eBay

Do some searching here, there are other threads on outdoor motion sensors. There's even somebody here who runs a blog where they reviewed a bunch of outdoor motion senors. I don't have time to find that right now.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
jbond007m3,

Welcome to the forum!
There is a wealth of info already here. Most basic-to-medium questions have already been asked and answered. Farming this already-existing info is often more productive, and faster, than starting a new thread and waiting for folks to answer.

Here's some info on good security PIR sensors. And no relays needed.
PIR Sensors
Looking for a PIR (or similar wireless) driveway alarm
Help me find an alarm input device?
Dahua nvr alarm inputs

Good luck, and welcome again!
Fastb