$17 IR Illuminator Review-ish....

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought I'd post some thoughts on an IR Illuminator I picked up from Aliexpress this week. Price was around $17
HOBOVISIN CCTV Array IR illuminator infrared lamp/white light 6pcs Array Led IR Outdoor Waterproof Night Vision for CCTV Camera-in CCTV Accessories from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

So first thing I did before using it is take off the front and rear covers and add some silicone just to make sure it was waterproof. Build quality seems good and seems sturdy in the hand.

The beam angle is quite narrow as can be seen in the below videos. The wall I'm aiming at is 5.5m (18ft) from the lamp/camera and the space between the upright posts (either side of the wheelbarrow) is 3.2m (10.5ft). The lamp completely takes over the onboard IR of the Hikvision camera and the camera struggles a little with the intensity of light, especially when I walk towards it.

The Hikvision camera in the top two videos is a DS-2CD2335-I 2.8mm while the bottom video is the same model camera but a 4mm. I'll say that this lamp is pretty useless with 2.8mm lenses as just creates a hotspot. No so bad on the 4mm as it's zoomed in on the hotspot a bit. I'm guessing 6mm - 12mm lenses would benefit most with the higher the better.

I bought this lamp to use with a Dahua Starlight Ultra at a distance of around 20ft from camera to object. I'm hoping it won't bee too powerful but at least the camera can zoom in to 12mm.

What I will say though is where the camera could focus on the light, the quality of image is far superior to using just the onboard IR.

Note the bottom video also has 45w of LED white light on it to supplement the IR from the cameras.

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I'm looking for wider angle IR, so this example was helpful.

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi mate. Good video.

Each led will have a (removable) lens stuck onto it. If you want more spread, try prying them off and retesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, You don't have to mount the lamp to the same wall as the camera or mount it facing the same direction. If you mounted the lamp back behind the camera 20-30 feet, you may get a wider spread. Also, have the lamp pointing from a different direction. I may have to draw a sketch to explain my self.