18 PoE Camera Setup, with larger property, long 150'+ runs...

grkmyth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Folks, thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm an ol' hounddog and I'm not the best with the computer so bear with me please...

At my business, we have a property with one main office/warehouse, and two smaller buildings as a metal and workshop. Take a look at my diagram, if you please. This system would consist of four cameras indoor, 14 cameras outdoor. They'd need to be running at night with low-light. I would prefer them to be high resolution.

Our main server room is in the very left of the image by our front sales counter. So all the cameras in our back areas would have fairly long runs. Would you all anticipate having to put a PoE Extender/Repeater/Switch midway about where the back wall of the main building is? Or will I still be in range on the cable length to avoid the 100m cable limit?

So 18 PoE Cams
Several hundred feet of raw cables, terminations, etc.
PoE Injector/Extender (maybe)
Main NVR in Server Room connected to our existing 32ch switch? (for our existing network, we have about 25 workstations).

Where should I be looking for best equipment for the price, including installation? I've got an IT company we hire to maintain our little server closet and network, but it's pretty low-key, low-tech.

Any information helps, all of your feedback helps me, just don't wanna screw myself on this! Thanks again.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good diagram.

1) You can either go with a NVR or use a PC and run Blue Iris to record the data.
2) for distance look at using something like ePOE from dahua.
3) I would put a POE switch in each or your building to prevent real look cable runs to the camera.
4) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
5) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
6) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
7) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
8) if using an NVR, buy the NVR and cameras form the same manufacturer and vendor.

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
you can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:
forum: EmpireTech Andy

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

grkmyth

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the info. I'll check out the items you listed.

I think a big question for me is weather or not a PC installation will support 18 cameras running 24/7 with multiple motion/events/flags etc. My concern with using multiple PoE switches is the potential for them to be tampered with or otherwise abused by my less-than-graceful team members. We have a lot of guys running forklifts and dollies and jacks carrying pallets and I'm mostly concerned that sensitive electronics will be destroyed.

I'm certain I'll have to run a lot of conduit to secure the lines, correct? That's another concern of mine is how I'm going to run lines from the two back shops to the main warehouse, buried? Suspended? This is definitely a challenge for me. Anyone local to the San Diego area can recommend me an installer/vendor who is fare that can get me a good setup?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For installation, most people use a low voltage electrician, not sure about in a California Business rules, a Low voltage electrician, is the person that install telephone wire, cable tv, internet cable. Not sure about digging.

Depending on the frame rate and about of processing the correctly configured BI PC can process 18 cameras. I run a 13 camera system on an old I7-4790 CPU. Look at the below link, it shows what other people are running, You do not need a new or super big PC, stick with an Intel cpu.

Or go with a 32 port NVR, always go with a bigger NVR than you think you will need.