18TB drives in Hikvision 7732 NVR ?

beemr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, just about to buy a Hikvision 7732-i4/16p NVR... documentation says 10TB max per drive. From what I understand that doesn't really mean much... So is it fine to use a WD Purple Pro 18TB for now, and possibly add 3 more later? Is there any hard limit on drive capacity at all?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
how many cams you running? What were you recording on before? and how much time were you getting?

beemr

n3wb
Reaction score
20x 8MP cams currently. Just looking for the maximum retention period and future proofing to some degree. 20TB is really enough for me for now, so it's either get 2x 10TB inline with the spec, or get a single 18TB which would be cheaper and leaves extra bay for future storage.

Vandoe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
20x 8MP cams currently. Just looking for the maximum retention period and future proofing to some degree. 20TB is really enough for me for now, so it's either get 2x 10TB inline with the spec, or get a single 18TB which would be cheaper and leaves extra bay for future storage.
I don’t think 20tb will get you much at all if running continuously. Not 20x8mp.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I've experienced computers in the past that did not recognize drives beyond a certain size, tho it has been a while. Cannot help but wonder why they've declared a 10TB max specification and not something larger. Will a 18TB be treated as a 10TB, or simply not recognized at all?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys, just about to buy a Hikvision 7732-i4/16p NVR... documentation says 10TB max per drive. From what I understand that doesn't really mean much... So is it fine to use a WD Purple Pro 18TB for now, and possibly add 3 more later? Is there any hard limit on drive capacity at all?
I am running a Hikvision 7716-I4/16p with four 12TB WD Purple drives and no problem.

110.91TB Normal 0.00TB
  • Normal
  • Uninitialized
  • Error
  • Sleeping
  • Mismatched
  • Formatting
  • Not Exist
  • Rebuilding data
  • synching
  • Unloaded (not loaded)
  • Not supported
  • eSATA
  • Local
  • NAS
  • IP SAN
  • Array
  • MiniSAS
  • IDE
  • R/W
  • Redundancy
  • Read-only
210.91TB Normal 0.00TB
  • Normal
  • Uninitialized
  • Error
  • Sleeping
  • Mismatched
  • Formatting
  • Not Exist
  • Rebuilding data
  • synching
  • Unloaded (not loaded)
  • Not supported
  • eSATA
  • Local
  • NAS
  • IP SAN
  • Array
  • MiniSAS
  • IDE
  • R/W
  • Redundancy
  • Read-only
310.91TB Normal 0.00TB
  • Normal
  • Uninitialized
  • Error
  • Sleeping
  • Mismatched
  • Formatting
  • Not Exist
  • Rebuilding data
  • synching
  • Unloaded (not loaded)
  • Not supported
  • eSATA
  • Local
  • NAS
  • IP SAN
  • Array
  • MiniSAS
  • IDE
  • R/W
  • Redundancy
  • Read-only
410.91TB Normal 0.00TB
  • Normal
  • Uninitialized
  • Error
  • Sleeping
  • Mismatched
  • Formatting
  • Not Exist
  • Rebuilding data
  • synching
  • Unloaded (not loaded)
  • Not supported

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've experienced computers in the past that did not recognize drives beyond a certain size, tho it has been a while. Cannot help but wonder why they've declared a 10TB max specification and not something larger. Will a 18TB be treated as a 10TB, or simply not recognized at all?
the order goes: file system limitations, then hardware.
So its going to map partitions according to size limits of the file system.
Now if its going to partition an 18TB correctly into its 4 extended partitions it does, I don't know, I would have to look at the whitepaper (if there is one) on this version of their file system to find the max Little-endian inode value.
So it might be limited to a value like 10.894 TB
Which I would try first making two primary partitions to see if it overcomes the filesystem limitations.
Then if that doesn't work, try a primary and extended.
Theoretically, it shouldn't be necessary format them into a file system after partitioning.
Otherwise, I would put the 18TB drive into a NAS enclosure and format it and put two folders on the root directory and set the size to 9TB per nas/cloud mounted folder in the NVR. This puts the 9 TB partition into one file. So you must format the NAS to a file system that can handle that large file like exFAT.
Depending on how the cameras are set up. 20@8mp with 20TB recording is 1 month to 6 weeks worth. with using motion event and constant recording at the same time.
I set the pre and post record of the motion event recording to 1 min. before and 2 min. after. The default settings are too short. Which I recommend this setting on motion event recording.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
the order goes: file system limitations, then hardware.
SNIP
Unless, of course, the limitation is hard coded in the BIOS.

Regardless... with the current state of evolution for technology, it is surprising to see a limitation on what I would consider a small HDD size. Would love to find out they simply forgot to remove it from their documentation. My point was simply to identify that the documented limitation could be very real, and possibly unforgiving.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless, of course, the limitation is hard coded in the BIOS.

Regardless... with the current state of evolution for technology, it is surprising to see a limitation on what I would consider a small HDD size. Would love to find out they simply forgot to remove it from their documentation. My point was simply to identify that the documented limitation could be very real, and possibly unforgiving.
Its not a computer industry file system. So they can set that filesystem to any max size they define. Bios doesn't limit. Its the mode for the drive (GPT vs MBR) in a computer. But an NVR does not use the drive the same way as a computer does.
But if you want to know the computer industry file size and partition size limit for the common different types:
File SystemPartition size limitFile size limit
FAT164GB2GB
FAT3232GB4G
NTFS256TB18EB
exFAT128 PB16 EB
RiserFS4.7 ZB18 EB
EXT2 &EXT332 TB2 TB
HFS+8 EB8 EB

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Hivision's proprietary file system. Some refer to it as the HIKBTREE file system.
So its not a computer industry file system it is a proprietary file system. Back to a question from the OP:

"Is there any hard limit on drive capacity at all?"

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So its not a computer industry file system it is a proprietary file system. Back to a question from the OP:

"Is there any hard limit on drive capacity at all?"
as the manufacturer quoted: 10 TB (10,894 GB)
They should have made it 24TB or 32TB since their last version of their file system is 8TB But they probably need to go to a different drive technology to keep simultaneous seek and recording performance the same. SATA is always weak when it comes to being in server environments and it might come into play with this server appliance (NVR).

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn’t it more likely that that was the max drive size that they tested with at that time?

I’ve got an old NAS with a supposed max limit of 2Tb drives but I’ve got 4 6Tb drives installed in it.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn’t it more likely that that was the max drive size that they tested with at that time?

I’ve got an old NAS with a supposed max limit of 2Tb drives but I’ve got 4 6Tb drives installed in it.
A good question for Andy to ask the people at Dahua.

beemr

n3wb
Reaction score
as the manufacturer quoted: 10 TB (10,894 GB)
They should have made it 24TB or 32TB since their last version of their file system is 8TB But they probably need to go to a different drive technology to keep simultaneous seek and recording performance the same. SATA is always weak when it comes to being in server environments and it might come into play with this server appliance (NVR).
Parley said he is running 12TB drives without issue, 18TB shouldn't be a problem then?

I wouldn't think that our tiny NVR setups would need enterprise SSD storage. 99% of the time the drives are just writing data, and the MB/s is rather miniscule even for 20-30 cams. The hardware decoder in the NVR is the real bottleneck.