1Gbps beneficial for RDP to BI live feed?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys

Another quirk I noticed I might need to change hardware around
I currently have a PC running BI with 8 cameras:
1 x 6mp
1 x 8mp
6 x 4mp
all running at 15fps

Everything is hardwired from cat6 solid core cabling to a switch with 1Gbps ports

The PC running BI is also running a gigbit NIC
the laptop that is RDPing from another room to the BI PC only has a 100Mbps NIC
I noticed the feed gets pretty pixelated on and off :
Heres when it was pretty bad:

1587122054131.png

1587123092153.png
I disconnected RDP and tested RDP from my gaming computer which has a 1Gbps Nic

Waited around 10-15 mins with the live feed running through RDP and didnt notice pixalation like this. But I could run it longer and see

anyone else think its worth switching laptops with something with 1Gbps nic? may fix this issue ?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt the RDP connection is getting anywhere near 100 Mbps. You could measure this easily enough by monitoring the network interface in task manager.

I figure a laptop with a 100 Mbps NIC has to be pretty old which means slow hardware and possibly an old version of Windows with less advanced RDP client capabilities.

Reaction score
You said everything is hard wired, but I used to get something similar over poor wi-fi. So feels like @bp2008 is basically saying, you are hitting some bandwidth limit or other limit on that old laptop. An RDP stream is a straightforward, built-in (if Pro/Server) option, but depending on the version and settings you choose (like color depth), you can face some bandwidth headaches. See this report from Microsoft about RDP performance:
Also any computer with an onboard NIC could face additional challenges to performance. For example, my ZBook can barely get to 560MB/s transfer speeds with the onboard NIC.
To test my fiber connection, I have to jump on my "gaming computer", because it has an Intel NIC that I know can get over 950Mb/s when everything is working properly (cables, switches, router, fiber ONT).

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are just viewing, Maybe use UI3 web interface instead?
Yeh I would prefer that but check out this thread why I am not using it

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You should absolutely email BI support about the camera layout. I don't see any reason he can't support the 1,2,4-up and ratio settings for remote viewing and I don't think it would even be that hard for him.